Why become a member? ×

Another question for a neck with up-bow

Clarky

My '62 reissue Precision has some 45-105 strings on at present (Ernie Balls I think) and even with the truss rod tightened as far as I can get it, it has a distinct up-bow so that I cannot get the action very low. Its hardly disatrous but I do like my action on the low side (2.5mm at 12th fret ideally, whereas its probably close to 4mm currently)

Should I just experiment with lower gauge strings or should I just take it straight away to the Gallery or similar to get it checked out? 45-105s are hardly transatlantic cables so I would have expected the neck to be able to accommodate these very easily and yet it simply will not.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1078668' date='Jan 5 2011, 03:32 PM']Is there any chance you could get a washer under the adjuster nut so you can eek out a few extra turns?[/quote]
I've not tried that so its a possibility, thanks. First I will try a splash of [s]Brut 33[/s] 3-in-one oil. I had a similar problem with my Fender Pino but that just required a bit less pussyfooting with the truss rod. In this case I am at bicep-busting level and the truss rod will not turn further. It just seems wrong to me, hence I wondered about just going to the expense of having it professionally seen to

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1078677' date='Jan 5 2011, 03:39 PM']I've not tried that so its a possibility, thanks. First I will try a splash of [s]Brut 33[/s] 3-in-one oil. I had a similar problem with my Fender Pino but that just required a bit less pussyfooting with the truss rod. In this case I am at bicep-busting level and the truss rod will not turn further. It just seems wrong to me, hence I wondered about just going to the expense of having it professionally seen to[/quote]

Definitely sounds like it's maxed out, don't force it any more or you risk shearing the end off the truss rod. Get a washer or several underneath as suggested, my jazz needed at least 5mm to get it into a good range again and it's fine now. If that doesn't work, get it looked at, but I bet it does the job.