Why become a member? ×

Strings for DJ5

hammer

I know how choosing strings is such an individual thing but I have just bought a Lakkie DJ5 and am thinking about changing the strings. Never having had a 35'' scale, string through body bass before a bit of advice would be better than spending a fortune going through trying out all the options. The bands I'm in play covers in pubs and at functions which is why I went for the jazz sound and I don't get through strings too quickly so cost is not so much of a problem. If anyone has any suggestions for strings as a starting point I'd be grateful.

Ian

[quote name='hammer' post='123386' date='Jan 19 2008, 02:13 PM']I know how choosing strings is such an individual thing but I have just bought a Lakkie DJ5 and am thinking about changing the strings. Never having had a 35'' scale, string through body bass before a bit of advice would be better than spending a fortune going through trying out all the options. The bands I'm in play covers in pubs and at functions which is why I went for the jazz sound and I don't get through strings too quickly so cost is not so much of a problem. If anyone has any suggestions for strings as a starting point I'd be grateful.

Ian[/quote]

On my 5501 I always use Overwater strings, good value, good tone and GREAT value.

I used to use Elites Stadium strings many moons ago. Then changed to Warwick Red Labels.

Got a set of Elites Stadiums free at the Bass Day.....put them on and loved them instantly.

Since then, I've bought 4 and 5 strings set from bassbunny on here.

But if you check [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/ELITES/"]Stringbusters[/url] you'll see they're comparably cheap, especially buying 3 sets or more.

[quote name='martthebass' post='123473' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:07 PM']Sorry to hijack your thread Ian.

Does anyone know the standard set that comes with the DJ5 - love the action as it is and don't want to screw around with rod adjustments when I change strings.

Cheers, Mart[/quote]

They look like .45s to me - Lakland mediums I would hazard a guess. You can get them off the Lakland site. You may want to mail Lakland to see if they come with Nickel or Stainless Steel though...