Why become a member? ×

Using my Toshiba TV as a monitor for my Mac mini

Okay, I'm using my mac Mini (which is my main computer) into an ACER Monitor.
I'm currently using this setup in my living room . All well & good so far.

However, due to lack of space, I want to use my Toshiba TV which is in my bedroom as my main setup.
If I can do this, it means that I can plug my studio monitors &Line6 device and play my bass through the Mac again.

It also means that I can plug my mac tower g4 into the living room, on my Acer monitor. It's slow and my Line 6 won't operate on it.

Anyway, I tried plugging my VGA- VGA cable into my Toshiba TV at the weekend.
Once I did this all seemed well, until I adjusted the monitor solution on my Mac Mini. The screen went black.
I tried resetting the PRAM ,but no good.

I plugged my Mac Mini back into the Acer montor mand it works fine.

The main question I have is : Do I try a VGA-HDMI cable? (VGA in the Mac, HDMI into TV)
One other thing, the Mac Mini came with a white adapter, which I have on all the time.

Please adfvise if you can .

Cheers

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I do this, but into a Samsung.

Mac - VGA cable into a VGA - HDMI

You'll need to play with the screen settings in the mac to get a great fit... 720 or 1080 is a bit small font wise for sofa distance viewing but there are loads of options and you'll find one that works.

My dad did the same as well, but his LG wouldn't accept a signal from the mac at all. He went and bought a Samsung.

Shep

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1079109' date='Jan 5 2011, 08:21 PM']Anyway, I tried plugging my VGA- VGA cable into my Toshiba TV at the weekend.
Once I did this all seemed well, until I adjusted the monitor solution on my Mac Mini. The screen went black.
I tried resetting the PRAM ,but no good.

The main question I have is : Do I try a VGA-HDMI cable? (VGA in the Mac, HDMI into TV)
One other thing, the Mac Mini came with a white adapter, which I have on all the time.[/quote]

Much as I love Macs, and only ever use them, Apple do tend to keep buggering about with the video output sockets. Depending on how old your Mini is, it will have one of three video output sockets: 1. Full size DVI, which will need an adaptor for VGA. 2. Two mini DV sockets, both also needing an adaptor for VGA, 3. HDMI and mini DV. Clearly, HDMI would be better, but is only found on the most recent models.

Also, your Toshiba telly will only display it's best available resolution. Is it HD or standard def?

You could try removing your adaptor on the Mini and just use a DV cable (if the Toshiba has an input). Otherwise, I'd personally stick to VGA and configure the resolution from the Mac. Try a fairly middling, standard resolution first, and see how far you get. There is a 'Detect displays' button in Display Preferences, which may help. I wouldn't have thought resetting the PRAM would make any difference.

If you're not happy with VGA, you can find a selection of cables here:

[url="http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables?mco=MTk1NTc1Njc"]http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop...mco=MTk1NTc1Njc[/url]

These include all sorts of configurations, including DV to HDMI for about £15

Not sure if this is helpful, but bestaluck.

BB