Why become a member? ×

Help needed to join the fanny club

Meenie

So I'm going to bite the bullet and sort out all my drop tuning/intonation issues out by buying a fanned fret 5 stringer.
Problem is I keep falling in love with everyone I see and am finding it a very tough choice!

My first port of call was a Dingwall but since my initial love affair with Sheldons beauties I have stumbled across Lecompte and Le Fay basses, now I really don't know what to do!

I know bass gallery and bassdirect are Dingwall distributers, so getting hold of and trying out a Dingwall is relatively easy for me but where the hell can I find a Le Fay or Lecompte to try out?

Has anyone here owned any of these instruments?
Any other suggestions for manufacturers of fanned fret basses would be appreciated also as if I'm gonna be shelling out the big bucks, this bass has got to be just right!

So that the strings can be different lengths... As in bridge to nut length...

[quote name='gub' post='1080120' date='Jan 6 2011, 05:03 PM']ok now i feel pissed! :) whats the idea of the frets being like that then ? never seen it before.[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='gub' post='1080120' date='Jan 6 2011, 05:03 PM']ok now i feel pissed! :) whats the idea of the frets being like that then ? never seen it before.[/quote]

Read this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=113125&hl=dingwall&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ngwall&st=0[/url]

To shorten it down, varying string lengths keeps the feel and the timbre of the strings similar instead of your G string being tight and trebly while your B string flaps about and sounds muddy.

I guess i'll be testing out a Dingwall then!
I spoke to one of the guys from Le Fay and he was up for sending me a 3000euro bass in the post for me to have a go on!
Cant say ive ever come across customer service anywhere as good as that before!
He also said he'd be over in the UK in march so im thinking of hooking up with him then.
As far as the Lecompte goes, ive no idea when or where i can get my hands on one of those!

Oh yeah, the sex change is going well, ive got both bits at the minute so going to bed and showering is taking forever!