Why become a member? ×

The importance of speakers

LukeFRC

A recent change for me was selling my old tech soundsystems classic 2x12 and repacing it with a Tecamp m210 cabinet.

The Tech cab was warm and middy whereas the new cab is faster with more bottom end.

But the real revelation is how it makes my basses sound. The warwick especially seems to come alive with this cab, the P bass sounds more growly but in comparison the jazz doesn't sound as great.
I wonder if old bluey warwick I sold actaully sounded great but just didn't like my cab.

The moral of the tale is.... well I'm not sure but it was todays observation

I`ve just changed from using a single Marshall 4x12, to both an Ampeg 4x10 & 2x10, and the sound seems much "tighter" even though I`m pushing approx the same amount of air. Speaker size, and make (in my case Celestion 12s v Eminence 10s) can bring great change to the sound.

For me the one constant is characteristics. although I accept one or two models can differ and cabs make a differnece as well, but
I generally go on frequency range and how that suits your sound and ear.

I like 12' as the middle ground split between the low end boom from a 15" and the punch of a 10".

Ain't no good without a horn though, IMV which is why I would never use a cab without one or a stack without one in a cab.
Having said that..that is for me..some peoples sound doesn't want any life up top.

Horses for courses