Why become a member? ×

my search for a lightweight amp

willyf87

So i have now managed to get an ashdown lg1000 amp, now all i need is one or two cabs that are light and to get me making noise!! has anyone got an opinion of

1. The fender rumble 112 cabs
2. the promethean 110 cabs

i cant find anything on the rumbles, but both cabs come in at about the same weight so would be ideal for me. I have heard good things about the prometheans in general, but 2 1x12 cabs seems like a good idea to me.

Being on this lightweight quest myself, I've been looking into some cabs, as well as high-power combos, and the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=midget"]Barefaced Midget[/url] seems to get very good mentions among light 112s. Not cheap, but it handles 600W, is said to be as loud as many 212s, and weighs only 20lbs :)

[quote name='PVTele' post='1082638' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:04 PM']Being on this lightweight quest myself, I've been looking into some cabs, as well as high-power combos, and the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=midget"]Barefaced Midget[/url] seems to get very good mentions among light 112s. Not cheap, but it handles 600W, is said to be as loud as many 212s, and weighs only 20lbs :)[/quote]

Yeah they look great but the pricepoint is a problem really.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1082751' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:35 PM']yeah looks good but I'm still thinking I should get two cabs just in case the aguilars go for 400 on there own[/quote]

????

anyway, this ad is an example of the price a pr of these cabs can fetch ..and IMV..they are a steal.
Assuming you like the sound of them, of course.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114809"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114809[/url]

[quote name='JTUK' post='1082827' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:29 AM']????

anyway, this ad is an example of the price a pr of these cabs can fetch ..and IMV..they are a steal.
Assuming you like the sound of them, of course.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114809"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114809[/url][/quote]

Yeah sorry my last post made little sense. If I could get some second hand for that price would be great but could be waiting forever and theres no guarantee there gonna turn up anywhere near where I live. Brand new they are £400 ish and I'm really thinking I should get two just in case I need more power, which would take me well over my budget.

£500

do you mind second hand?

There is a barefaced COMPACT (1x15) in the forsale section at £330
In reality its going to be a lot louder and in some cases lighter than alot of what has been suggested.

Or then again you could get a brand new one from Alex, or a brand new Midget for £425

I gig with a single midget and in some rooms its impeccably loud, even next to our loud drummer.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1083061' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:26 PM']£500

do you mind second hand?

There is a barefaced COMPACT (1x15) in the forsale section at £330
In reality its going to be a lot louder and in some cases lighter than alot of what has been suggested.

Or then again you could get a brand new one from Alex, or a brand new Midget for £425

I gig with a single midget and in some rooms its impeccably loud, even next to our loud drummer.[/quote]

Yeah I was in contact with alex a month or so ago, but that was when I only had my mag 300 amp, now I have well basically a 300w into one channel it may be a worthwhile investment. I play with two guitars and a drummer so I really do have to compete with them lol. What sort of head are you using?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1083062' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:27 PM']You do need two, IMO.

I wouldn't put a single 12 anywhere near my band, tbh. Maybe a quite jazz gig or rehearsal but not a full powerful band.
I don't regard us as loud but I guess we can overpower most pub type venues so maybe we are.[/quote]

Thats what I'm afraid of, its not too bad if you have good FOH i'd just use it as a monitor but some places are rubbish like that.

I really want to know how the rumbles sound, they sound like they could be too good to be true.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1083061' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:26 PM']There is a barefaced COMPACT (1x15) in the forsale section at £330
In reality its going to be a lot louder and in some cases lighter than alot of what has been suggested.[/quote]

Took the words right outta ma mouth!! These cabs really are incredibly loud and due to their sensitivity don't need too much juice to make them shout! Also, they are so light that you would think that there was no driver in them at all!

Alex advised me that the midget would be the best way to go but was worried that the mag300 wouldn't be able to produce enough oomph now I have the lg1000 may be a better choice, I'm just worried a single 12 won't be enough and I can't afford two midgets lol. I'm not a huge single 1x15 fan, always seems a bit boomy to me, I've always preferred using them in conjuction with a 2x10, which is what I do now.

Edited by willyf87

[quote name='willyf87' post='1083073' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:36 PM']Alex advised me that the midget would be the best way to go but was worried that the mag300 wouldn't be able to produce enough oomph now I have the lg1000 may be a better choice, I'm just worried a single 12 won't be enough and I can't afford two midgets lol. I'm not a huge single 1x15 fan, always seems a bit boomy to me, I've always preferred using them in conjuction with a 2x10, which is what I do now.[/quote]

You won't find a Compact to be a boomy 15" at all. It's very very loud even on it's own and easily capable of pub gigs with a loud band.

And a bargain at the used prices you see them at these days. The Midget is almost as loud too. You need to compare the drivers Alex fit to his cabs against what other manufacturers fit and you will see that Alex fits the best drivers for the money.

I would still think a pair of Aguilar 1 x 12s would be a great used bargain if you can get them.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1083086' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:48 PM']....You won't find a Compact to be a boomy 15" at all. It's very very loud even on it's own and easily capable of pub gigs with a loud band....[/quote]
+1
Compacts don't boom, unless you make them. I would put a Compact up against 2 112's any day.

hmmm im tempted with the compact now, the one on here has sold now though:( was a bit too far anyways.

Would you reckon that the compact through one channel of my lg1000 would be just as loud as me putting two sepertae 112's into each, I know there would be less watts but with the extra sensitivity etc..

[quote name='willyf87' post='1083098' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:57 PM']Would you reckon that the compact through one channel of my lg1000 would be just as loud as me putting two sepertae 112's into each, I know there would be less watts but with the extra sensitivity etc..[/quote]

Maybe PM WaterofTyne? He played through two Bergantino 2x10s very happily until he tried the Compact... I certainly didn't hear him complaining about any lack of volume or tone!

Michael, what do you say to these comments about Compacts being "boomy" or unable to throw out decent volume levels?

[quote name='willyf87' post='1083098' date='Jan 9 2011, 12:57 PM']hmmm im tempted with the compact now, the one on here has sold now though:( was a bit too far anyways.

Would you reckon that the compact through one channel of my lg1000 would be just as loud as me putting two sepertae 112's into each, I know there would be less watts but with the extra sensitivity etc..[/quote]

I use an LG1000 with my Compact and always have enough volume for gigs in pubs and hotel function rooms etc. I don't go through the PA either.

It's a pity you can't try a Compact. I'm sure if a basschatter near you had one you would have offers to try....

Having said that, Barefaced offer a one month trial. If you don't like it, you send it back. I think that says everything about the confidence Alex has in his cabinets.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

I'm always a bit taken aback when I read that a single Midget on its own isn't loud enough for pub gigs.

I play in a 5-piece covers band (guitar, slide, keys/sax, bass, drums). Neither guitarist understands the concept of "turn down", and the drummer will only play softer if you hit him repeatedly with a length of 4x2.

Running an Orange Terror Bass through a single Midget, I have yet to use both Volume & Gain above 12 o'clock at the same time.

I also play in a 3-piece covers band, where I use a Big One instead of a Midget. That's because I find it more capable of "filling out" the sound, because I have more room on stage (two fewer people), and ... well ... because I can. :)

To the OP, if you're pressed for dosh and you want to make the right decision, then don't rush into this. If you ask nicely on Basschat, you'll usually find someone local who will let you try their Barefaced / Bergantino / Aguilar / Whatever.

If you're in any doubt, then always try before you buy.

Thanks for the information guys, I'm glad someone got back to me about the rumbles, I had a feeling they were a bit too good to be true. I'm looking at getting a 4ohm 1212l schroeder cab, they sound great for gigs and would easily handle one channel of the lg1000. There's loads of info about them and lots of happy customers so maybe worth a try. I'm still having a think about the barefaced cabs though.

All internet advice comes with a health warning - it's best to try for yourself!!

The Schroeder 1212L is a great cab. Loud, and it has decent low end. A really good gigging cab.

The Compact might not be quite as loud as the 1212L but, in my opinion, it is easier to listen to, and has a more rounded sound. The 1212L gets tiring on the ears after a while I find. Don't let that put you off though, the 1212L is a fantastic cab.

Frank.