Why become a member? ×

stingray 5 2nd pick up added ?

ian

I've seen some horrible attempts to fit a second neck humbucker to a Stingray 4 posted somewhere on the internet (something about Stingrays having a cavity that easily allows this modification, but I'm skeptical). The dual humbucker Stingrays I'm almost positive were not around in the 90's though.

hi again
so heres the story my friend bought a musicman stingray 5 today thinking its a HH5 but the pick ups are right next to each other like a double buck .it sounds great but will this mod devalue the bass ? because i guess its just a mid 90s stingray 5 .many thanks

[quote name='ian' post='1086148' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:00 PM']hi again
so heres the story my friend bought a musicman stingray 5 today thinking its a HH5 but the pick ups are right next to each other like a double buck .it sounds great but will this mod devalue the bass ? because i guess its just a mid 90s stingray 5 .many thanks[/quote]

Heck.....was it ebay?!

That will not be original....check the wiring etc.

If he is happy with it and it plays and sounds good then the price is less of an issue but I agree with MM20 to check the wiring is ok, you don't want someone elses dodgy soldering or incorrect pup wiring spoiling the gig! I think most people would say it's either devalued it a bit unless it's done very well but even then I think your customer base will be reduced. Buying from a shop always carries a premium but I would say for a 90's 5 that's quite steep with a home mod. Some pics including behind the pups would be nice.

Secondly email EBMM with the serial and you will get a build date and spec within a few days we could all be wrong and he may have something special , you never know?

[quote name='risingson' post='1085965' date='Jan 11 2011, 07:50 PM']I've seen some horrible attempts to fit a second neck humbucker to a Stingray 4 posted somewhere on the internet (something about Stingrays having a cavity that easily allows this modification, but I'm skeptical). The dual humbucker Stingrays I'm almost positive were not around in the 90's though.[/quote]

The SR5 was intoduced in about 1988.

Dual Humbucker SR5 was intoduced at NAMM July 2005.

Details of models and serial numbers [url="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/mycustompage0029.htm"]here[/url].

Pictures and serial number would certainly be very helpful.

[quote name='ian' post='1086215' date='Jan 11 2011, 10:57 PM']na somewhere else in a shop lol £1200 seems a bit steep hey but sounds great[/quote]

£1200 is, in my opinion and given the evidence, way over the odds.

I'd say there was next to no chance that this is an original, factory installed pickup. Aftermarket modifications to Musicman basses substantially devalue them, particularly if it's a modification that involved a router.

Of course, if this is a custom bass built that way by Musicman, it's about right. Genuine custom Musicmans do exist, but they're not common (it's a service the company have never really offered). They also tend to be custom finishes rather than extra pickups.

We seem to have 2 parallel threads on this same bass. Can't we combine them?

FYI

The SR5 was intoduced in about 1988.

Dual Humbucker SR5 was intoduced at NAMM July 2005.

Details of models and serial numbers [url="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/mycustompage0029.htm"]here[/url] .

Pictures and serial number would certainly be very helpful.

[quote name='ian' post='1086148' date='Jan 11 2011, 02:00 PM']it sounds great but will this mod devalue the bass ?[/quote]
Not as a player. If that's the goal of this bass then it's a great mod as it adds a pickup in almost the P Bass position. If it's a collectable then it will bring the price way down as MM fans don't like customizing.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1087606' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:16 AM']If you arent happy Id take it back. Im guessing the buyer knew before he bought it that it wasnt original? Or it was described as modded?[/quote]

You're covered by the Sales of Goods Act on second hand goods, but I don't think there is any obligation on the part of a shop to detail modifications. I honestly think you would struggle to argue that something like "Used Stingray 5, two pickups" is in any way a misdescription. From the limited information in this thread, it would seem that the bass was patently not an official HH SR5.

I don't think there's any valid basis on which to return it if he bought it in person. If he bought it over the phone or on the internet, there's 7 working days (IIRC) cooling off period.