Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1000

BB2000

That's some inflation rate -

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220715328878"]Bought for £275 last December[/url]

and now

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-BB-1000-Bass-Original-70s-MIJ-Precision-P-Mega-/280615423728"]listed at twice the price![/url]

[quote name='noelk27' post='1087349' date='Jan 12 2011, 10:33 PM']It's nice, but it's not £500+ nice. Polishing cloth, but he seems to be missing the rest of the tool kit. Brochure, but not tags.[/quote]

It is a very nice example. I set it up for the last owner a few months back - the chap he bought if from obviously hadn't used it for years, and there was such a bow in the neck I had my boubts that it would actually straighten. It had the original Yamaha leather strap as well, which you don't see very often.

It's a bit annoying how this seller implies that he's had this bass for years, and is only selling because he can't live on his pension etc. when he obviously bought to resell. Potential buyers won't be aware of that since you can now only search for completed listing less that 15 days old - it used to be several months.

Just out of interest, how do you know it is the same guy?

Admittedly 2 BB1000 basses coming up for sale in almost identical condition with cases and leaflet would be unusual but there doesn't appear to be a direct link... I'm not defending the seller, simply wondering what other grounds there are for doubt!

[quote name='BB2000' post='1088292' date='Jan 13 2011, 04:55 PM']It is a very nice example. I set it up for the last owner a few months back - the chap he bought if from obviously hadn't used it for years, and there was such a bow in the neck I had my boubts that it would actually straighten. It had the original Yamaha leather strap as well, which you don't see very often.

It's a bit annoying how this seller implies that he's had this bass for years, and is only selling because he can't live on his pension etc. when he obviously bought to resell. Potential buyers won't be aware of that since you can now only search for completed listing less that 15 days old - it used to be several months.[/quote]

I saw the original listing and thought it was a fair price in the prevailing market conditions.

Now if it were a late 70's Fender in that condition, it would go for 2 - 3 times the inflated amount, so you could argue it's still a bargain!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1088378' date='Jan 13 2011, 06:06 PM']Just out of interest, how do you know it is the same guy?

Admittedly 2 BB1000 basses coming up for sale in almost identical condition with cases and leaflet would be unusual but there doesn't appear to be a direct link... I'm not defending the seller, simply wondering what other grounds there are for doubt![/quote]
From what John (BB2000) says, sounds as though he has direct knowledge of the original purchaser/current seller, so is able to join the dots for the unwitting. Reading the current eBay listing you'd certainly think that the current seller had owned the bass for the last 30 years. But, as others will no doubt point out, buying low and selling high is the secret to success in business, and being able to spin or market without actually lying would be seen by most in advertising as a good well done.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1088601' date='Jan 13 2011, 09:13 PM']Now if it were a late 70's Fender in that condition, it would go for 2 - 3 times the inflated amount, so you could argue it's still a bargain![/quote]
And if a Fiat 500 were a Ferrari Enzo it would be worth a cool million.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='Johnston' post='1088693' date='Jan 13 2011, 10:28 PM']Plus with the seller having (0) feed back the other day I scepticism says it was someone trying to make it hard to look up the feedback and see how much of a turn he's putting on it.[/quote]
And the "no feedback phone for references" bit just adds to your sense of suspicion, huh? Yea, mine too.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1088809' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:50 AM']This is the same guy selling a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CSL-Ibanez-Original-1975-Jazz-Bass-Fujigen-MIJ-Vintage-/280615437059"]CSL Jazz copy for £445![/url]

"Captain Fujigen"? :)

Jon.[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518930873"]which he bought the other week for £195[/url]

[quote name='BB2000' post='1088821' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:07 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518930873"]which he bought the other week for £195[/url][/quote]
Accumulating to speculate - can't criticise him on that score. I'd still be doing it if I could be ars*d. Portraying the instruments as long-cherished possessions is something else - and establishing a fresh eBay ID as a front is a bit fly-by-night (as I'm betting his alternative persona has an interesting buyer's history).

He really doesn't know the market - or his JapCrap - if he seriously thinks he can get nearly £500 for that.

I'm all for a bit of honest profiteering, but I can't help thinking he paid over the odds for this, and is trying to flog it by knowingly misrepresenting it with a pack of lies.

J.

[quote name='BB2000' post='1088821' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:07 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290518930873"]which he bought the other week for £195[/url][/quote]

I'm further puzzled or I might be a bit dumb this morning; how does this account link to the guy who bought the BB1000? :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1088878' date='Jan 14 2011, 07:22 AM']I'm further puzzled or I might be a bit dumb this morning; how does this account link to the guy who bought the BB1000? :)[/quote]

Looking very closely at the pics of the BB - especially the back - you can just see that the graining on the wood is the same on both listings. So it seems very likely to be the same bass. And ditto with the CSL - the grain on the back is identical for the two listings.

Of course, for both basses, there could have been an intermediate change of hands between the two ebay listings, but the fact that this guy is selling both basses now suggests a pattern.

Both basses were originally bought by "Captain Fujigen", who, as the name suggests, predominantly flogs old JapCrap on Ebay. Looking at his feedback & sales history, he has managed to get some pretty silly money for some pretty nondescript stuff - I'm particularly struck by a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180599497100"]Peavey C5 he flogged for £345[/url] - I have an identical one of these which cost about £200 brand new 6 or 7 years ago, and a [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180585644516"]Hondo 335 copy[/url] which he bumped for £345 on the basis of a pack of bullsh!t. This is a Korean guitar made by Samick - which is why it has a circular Samick inspection sticker on the back of the head. With an honest description it would fetch about £150 less than he got.

He's set up an alternate ID to try & flip these two basses at a ridiculous profit, in the hope the buyers won't suss he's a dealer who just paid a lot less for them.

J.