Why become a member? ×

Stringing A Bass

daz

My main bass had some flats put on it a few months back. Ever since i have felt that the E and A strings were a tiny bit dull. I noticed that the string was not tightly wound from top of the peg to the bottom, but assumed that this could not make that much difference. Eventually i realized it was riddiculous to not at least try and put it right and see if it made a difference. Well of course it did. I made sure the string was wound tighly all the way down to the bottom. The angle of the bend from the nut was now more accute and did make a difference to the tonality of the strings.[size=5]*[/size]

So i read up on this and it appears that many people can not get this benefit from their strings as they simply [i]cut them too short [/i]to be able to get a proper top to bottom wind on them, therefore making it much harder to intonate the guitar correctly.

Im sure many people here knew this anyway, as did I to be honest. But i simply didnt realize how big a difference it could actually make.

[size=3]So guys and galls, dont cut those strings too short or you wont be able to get a decent angle between nut and machine head.![/size]

[size=5]*[/size]The reason that i never tried this sooner was that i had the same trouble with my old Peavey and this was one of the first things i was advised to try and it made no difference. I'm afraid the old Peav still sounds dull on the E string. If only that was as easy a fix.

Edited by daz