Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Vs Av Series P

GazWills

Hey folks, hoping someone can clarify!

Was looking online and AV series P basses are close to £1700. Coda are doing custom shop P basses for only £100 more than this... I'm after a nice P bass but nowhere in bristol stocks these so i'm gonna head down to mansons soon, but my question is- has anyone compared these 2 series? I would have guessed the custom shop P was thr daddy, but for the sake of £100 extra who'd have an AV over a custom?!?

This will be a tough one, and its really going to be your hands that decide.

I`ve played a Custom Shop Pino Palladino Precision, and it was fantastic. However I`ve played a Road Worn Precision and that also felt incredible. Difference of some £1400 between the two.

So reviews etc will all be based upon the individuals liking. Certainly for the money the build quality of both Custom Shop and AV should be very good, as with the sound, but playability - it`s which one you gel with best personally.

[quote name='GazWills' post='1093431' date='Jan 18 2011, 07:34 AM']Hey folks, hoping someone can clarify!

Was looking online and AV series P basses are close to £1700. Coda are doing custom shop P basses for only £100 more than this... I'm after a nice P bass but nowhere in bristol stocks these so i'm gonna head down to mansons soon, but my question is- has anyone compared these 2 series? I would have guessed the custom shop P was thr daddy, but for the sake of £100 extra who'd have an AV over a custom?!?[/quote]
The '58 Olympic White NOS looks very nice & I like the C/S idea but I prefer the '57 White Blonde American Vintage.

The '57 AV body, Nitro transparent White Blonde over Ash IMO much nicer than the solid Olympic White. Very sexy to see the lovely grain through the Nitro & the one piece Ash body + one piece Maple neck give it a unique feeling at a very comfortable weight.
The '57 AV neck, Nitro 'vintage tint' IMO better than the 'light maple' finish on the '58, + I really prefer the vintage frets over medium jumbo & the 7 1/4" radius over the 9.5".

The '59 Sunburst, to me not aesthetically right with the dark body/light neck + same comments as above on the neck/fret spec .

The '62 AV IMO is the perfect sunburst colour combination with the dark Rosewood board setting it off a treat with the tinted headstock too.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder & all that, above is only my opinion, if you are going to spend that much on anything, it's got to be your choice & your preferences. How they feel & play I imagine is going to be pretty much the same & IMO it's all down to individual setup. Since I've had my '57 AV I've tried at least 5 sets of strings before I'm happy with the tone & feel I want. You can't do that in a shop before you buy.
I moaned at Fender about the lack of choice regarding strings, especially Round vs Flat, at least they sent me a set of Flats FOC!

Cheerz, John.

• 3 weeks later...

so after a couple of hours at mansons this morning, I ended up coming home with a v.nice (2nd hand) AV57 (the white blonde)... and i'm very happy...

i also tried a couple of the custom shop basses they had whilst i was there (a 64 and a 57) and have to say they both sounded amazing, had a bit of [i]growl[/i] to them that the AV57 didn't (but i couldn't manage the £1,500 difference in price!!).

i don't think fender sell custom shop P-pickups, which is a damn shame. they sounded incredible!!

[quote name='GazWills' post='1113150' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:36 PM']so after a couple of hours at mansons this morning, I ended up coming home with a v.nice (2nd hand) AV57 (the white blonde)... and i'm very happy...

i also tried a couple of the custom shop basses they had whilst i was there (a 64 and a 57) and have to say they both sounded amazing, had a bit of [i]growl[/i] to them that the AV57 didn't (but i couldn't manage the £1,500 difference in price!!).

i don't think fender sell custom shop P-pickups, which is a damn shame. they sounded incredible!![/quote]

Sweet! Now you know what we want - - - - PICTURES :)

[quote name='GazWills' post='1113150' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:36 PM']...

i don't think fender sell custom shop P-pickups, which is a damn shame. they sounded incredible!![/quote]
They do the Jazz Custom Shop pickup - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-60-Pickup-set-Jazz-Bass-/230575921040?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35af655790"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-60-Pic...=item35af655790[/url].

I couldn't find a P bass version called Custom Shop but there is Original Vintage .

[quote name='GazWills' post='1113150' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:36 PM']so after a couple of hours at mansons this morning, I ended up coming home with a v.nice (2nd hand) AV57 (the white blonde)... and i'm very happy...[/quote]
Nice one, am now incredibly envious.