Why become a member? ×

Would This Work?

Old_Ben

As in the topic description I was wondering that if I plugged my amp into my cab using both the connections as though splitting the amp into 2 cabs but plugging it into one then would it give me more wattage going into the speaker, and if so would it explode into oblivion?

Thanks
Ben

[quote name='Old_Ben' post='1094920' date='Jan 19 2011, 12:10 PM']As in the topic description I was wondering that if I plugged my amp into my cab using both the connections as though splitting the amp into 2 cabs but plugging it into one then would it give me more wattage going into the speaker, and if so would it explode into oblivion?

Thanks
Ben[/quote]
No, it wouldn't make any difference. All you're doing is giving the signal (very very) slightly less resistance through the cable, which wouldn't make much difference unless your speaker cables were a mile long and as wide as a human hair. When it reaches the speaker it'll still have the same nominal resistance as with one cable.

Nice try :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='1094934' date='Jan 19 2011, 11:21 AM']No, it wouldn't make any difference. All you're doing is giving the signal (very very) slightly less resistance through the cable, which wouldn't make much difference unless your speaker cables were a mile long and as wide as a human hair. When it reaches the speaker it'll still have the same nominal resistance as with one cable.

Nice try :)[/quote]

I dont have the technical expertise on this but Im pretty sure this is actually bad for the amp as effectively because the speaker inputs are put in parallel you are effectively connecting two positive terminals from the amp together.

There is a safety warning oon some of the ashdown amps that tells you not to pug 2 outputs into 1 cabinet

If the head/power amp only has a single power stage then using 2 cables is fine but quite unnecessary if you use correct sized cables. It certainly won't anable you to extract more power from the amp. That is a function of the speaker impedance.

Where you have to be careful is if you are using a separate dual channel /stereo power amp or a head with 2 power amps. In that case you should in NO WAY connect both speaker outputs to a single cabinet. It will be magic smoke time for sure and an expensive repair bill. In this case you should use the bridged output into the correct impedance speaker. This is typically double the impedance that you can connect to the individual channels.

If you are unsure what type of amp you have then don't do it.

Edited by obbm

It's possible (maybe desirable) to do this if you've got a stereo amp and a cab with 2 speakers. You have to mod the cab to do it though.

eg. I have a 4ohm cab which is made up of 2x12 @ 8Ohms each. The speakers are rated at 400W each. The cab @ 800W.

I have a stereo amp which outputs 400W per channel @ 8Ohm and 600W pc @ 4Ohm.

Having each channel run it's own speaker gives slightly more power. 2x400W instead of 600W.

Benefit (if any) isn't really that it sounds louder, it's that it runs the amp slightly less hard.

Not really the same as what you're suggesting though :)

Edited by bigjohn