Why become a member? ×

Just Pimped My Washburn Scavenger

Paul S

I have a Washburn Scavenger. You don't see too many about - I would say in my limited experience it was the upper end of the JapCrap market, built in 1979/80, probably by Yamaki factory, and IMO has a similar build quality to my two MIJ Fenders. Single split p-bass style pup. And this was a true 'loft find' - only played for the first two years of it's life, kid left home, bass put in loft. It is made of mahogany and very heavy - normally not a problem for me unless my back is playing up (which it is at the moment), 40mm width neck at the nut that just seems to fit my hand nicely. But I have become a fan of the active bass sound.

So I thought I would spend a little bit on it to make it more suited to me - it is a good enough quality instrument to warrant the cost. I bought some Kent Armstrong pups, a John East P-retro unit and a set of DR Black Beauties. Then handed the lot over to my usual tech guy as I am a nonce when it comes to this type of thing.

Got it back today. Apparently it wasn't straightforward to fit - lots of routing to allow the pot spindles and jack socket to protrude through the bass body. And the new Pup covers were slightly too big so the old ones are back on - luckily the pups fit ok. Would have preferred the black Kent Armstrong covers but, well, never mind. The tech guy says he hasn't fitted a John East unit before and he was well impressed - best onboard preamp he has ever fitted to anything. He even mentioned how good the soldering was!

Anyway, my wife was out so I plugged it into a Trace Elliot AH250 head/18" cab. WOW. Playing it in passive mode the new pups have breathed life into it - much brighter and more powerful. But click up into active - woosh. Then click the other pot for the boost - woosh again. I have no idea of the range of noises it will make but it seems at the moment to be capable of all things. Have a rehearsal tomorrow so I should be able to put it through it's paces a bit while my back holds out.

Had to tell someone before I burst!

Crappy pics - took out the SD card on my better camera and it is elsewhere - bass doesn't look a whole lot different - new knobs and a polish. Charge indicator LED is on the back routing cover.

[attachment=69316:DSCN0527.JPG] [attachment=69317:DSCN0528.JPG] [attachment=69318:DSCN0530.JPG]

I think I will - black is best, I think. Shame the original routing is a little too small for a regular split coil cover. I have a black Westone Thunder - maybe the pup covers are the same as on the Washburn so I will have a fiddle first.

I do favour the stealth look but, well, I guess the cream covers were original. I bought the P-Retro unit secondhand - had I bought new I'd have gone for black knobs, then probably changed all the hardware too for a completel stealth look. Which would have been pointless, probaby, as the bridge is a good quality chunky thing and the tuners are fine. Jon - would the tuners be Gotoh or a look-a-like? Anyway, I'm still grinning and REALLY looking forward to giving it a blast tonight.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1096254' date='Jan 20 2011, 12:49 PM']I do favour the stealth look but, well, I guess the cream covers were original. I bought the P-Retro unit secondhand - had I bought new I'd have gone for black knobs, then probably changed all the hardware too for a completel stealth look. Which would have been pointless, probaby, as the bridge is a good quality chunky thing and the tuners are fine. Jon - would the tuners be Gotoh or a look-a-like? Anyway, I'm still grinning and REALLY looking forward to giving it a blast tonight.[/quote]
If the tuners are Gotoh they will likely have a logo somewhere, possibly on the reverse. Do they have a Washburn logo on the fronts?

I have a Washburn SB40 which I think is from the same era and the bridge, at least, is from Chushin - it's embossed on the reverse. Tuners on this one are big Schaller M4S clones, with no brand or logo & I suppose logic would suggest the hardware might well all come from the same source. Is there anything on the back of your bridge?

J.

I'm getting a message here about the pup covers...

Jon - nothing anywhere as far as I can see on the bridge or tuners. Whatever it is the bridge is nice - I recently fitted a Gotoh to one of my Fenders and I think this is just as good or better.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1096340' date='Jan 20 2011, 01:57 PM']Jon - nothing anywhere as far as I can see on the bridge or tuners. Whatever it is the bridge is nice - I recently fitted a Gotoh to one of my Fenders and I think this is just as good or better.[/quote]
Have you whipped the bridge off? Mine's branded underneath:

[attachment=69470:chushin_...dge_base.jpg]

Different bridge to yours (this one's quite BA-like) but notice how, like yours, it's quite overzealous in the number of screws it needs!

J.