Why become a member? ×

Help Needed - Great Funk & Disco Basslines?

chuck_stones

Hi all,

Recently I realised that to be the bassist I'd like to be, I've got to nail playing funk and disco basslines. So, as my knowledge of these areas is a little shaky (I know loads of tunes by ear, but no idea what they're called or who they're by), I'm wondering whether you guys could post your suggestions of essential funk and disco basslines. As an example, I've just been grooving to 'Ain't no stopping us now' by McFadden and Whitehead and 'Disco Inferno' by the Trammps.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of basslines that I should know if I want to improve my funk and disco playing? Bearing in mind I'm new to this, some easy suggestions would be welcomed and also some more challenging ones.

Additionally, if anyone has any good exercises that can be used to improve 16th note grooves, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers! :)

Here's some from our current set -

Long Train Running - The Doobie Bros
Little L - Jamiroquai
Cosmic Girl - Jamiroquai
Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
Bad Girls - Donna Summer
I Like It - Brand New Heavies
Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
Shake Everything Youve Got - Maceo Parker
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
Turn On Tune In Cop Out - Freak Power
Ladies Night - Kool & the Gang
Last night a DJ saved my wife - Indeep
Groove Is in the Heart - Deelite
Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder
Theme From Starskey & Hutch - JTQ
Thats the Way I Like It - KC & the Sunshine Band
Get Down Tonight - KC & the Sunshine Band
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Disco Inferno - The Trammps
Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
Car Wash - Rose Royce
You Should Be Dancin' - Bee Gees
Cold Sweat - James Brown
Sex Machine - James Brown
I wish - Stevie Wonder

Edited by crez5150

The Meters - Cissy Strut
Aaron Neville - Hercules
The Fatback Band - (Are You Ready) Do the Bus Stop
Rufus - Once You Get Started
Herbie Hancock - Just Around the Corner
Herbie Hancock - Hang Up Your Hangups
The Gap Band - Shake
Cymande - Brothers On the Slide
Chic - Everybody Dance
Sister Sledge - Thinking of You
Narada Michael Walden - I Should Have Loved Ya
Chaka Khan - What Cha Gonna Do For Me
Michael Jackson - Get On the Floor
Slave - Just A Touch of Love
Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots
Ohio Players - Who'd She Coo?
The J.B's - Superbad
The Bar Keys - To Hot to Stop

To name a few.

[quote name='risingson' post='1099730' date='Jan 23 2011, 03:26 PM']Narada Michael Walden - I Should Have Loved Ya[/quote]

Wey Hey, what a great tune and stonking Bassline.

Aye no corrida - Quincy Jones
Stuff Like That - Quincy Jones
Stomp - Brothers Johnson.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Might also be worth getting "70s Funk & Disco Bass" book by Josquin des Pres, no tuition but 101 bass lines in notation, tab and CD.

It's bit cheesy and gets a bit samey about halfway through but there are some fun lines and lots of 16th ghost notes to get to grips with.

It's no substitute for listening and playing the tracks recommended above though :)

Hi guys, sorry it's taken me a while to respond, it's been a busy week. Thanks heaps for all the suggestions, I'm in the process of working through a load. I'm also hoping to purchase a USB soundcard soon so I can start recording on my computer - when I do, I'll record some samples or something - some constructive criticism is always welcomed :)

I'm currently trying to suss out the main riff in 'I should have loved ya' by Narada Michael Walden (seriously awesome bassline) but I'm really struggling to get the timing of the 16th notes on the G and Octave right. No matter how many times I listen to it, I can't seem to get it - any pointers?

Another work in progress is the main riff to 'Aint' no stopping us now' by McFadden and Whitehead, but again I'm struggling with the 16th notes in it, I guess the only remedy there is practice, practice, practice?

@Conan - hell yeah, Bernard Edwards is THE man!!

Without wanting to plug my own work toooo much, you could do worse than to check out this transcription book that I wrote a couple of years back which covers the funk and disco grooves of Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards:

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/nile-rodgers-and-bernard-edwards-funk-and-disco-grooves.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/nile-rod...co-grooves.html[/url]

The book contains guitar and bass transcriptions to all the hits that Nile and Bernard wrote with Chic, Sister Sledge and Diana Ross. Obvious highlights - as mentioned by some of the other posters - are 'Le Freak' and 'Good Times', but for Bernard at his best, you should check out his lines on 'My Feet Keep Dancing', 'Thinking Of You', 'My Forbidden Lover' and of course 'Everybody Dance'. Phenomenal playing and some of greatest funk/disco that you could ever want to listen to!

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='1108551' date='Jan 30 2011, 07:46 PM']Without wanting to plug my own work toooo much, you could do worse than to check out this transcription book that I wrote a couple of years back which covers the funk and disco grooves of Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards:

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/nile-rodgers-and-bernard-edwards-funk-and-disco-grooves.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/nile-rod...co-grooves.html[/url]

The book contains guitar and bass transcriptions to all the hits that Nile and Bernard wrote with Chic, Sister Sledge and Diana Ross. Obvious highlights - as mentioned by some of the other posters - are 'Le Freak' and 'Good Times', but for Bernard at his best, you should check out his lines on 'My Feet Keep Dancing', 'Thinking Of You', 'My Forbidden Lover' and of course 'Everybody Dance'. Phenomenal playing and some of greatest funk/disco that you could ever want to listen to!

Stu[/quote]

Everybody dance...... that is an absolute killer to play.... took me ages to get up to speed with that one... great tune