Why become a member? ×

Secondhand Warwick Prices - Wtf Is Going On??

xilddx

Well, Warwick have always suffered terrible depreciation. I don't know why, as they are amazing instruments and they are real bargains on the used market. I paid £590 for my BO Thumb, which was a 1999 model with a wenge neck that look as though it was brand new, it was that good. I don't think Fender could made a bass that good at all, unless you're thinking about a custom shop Urge bass.

Mind you, bassists are typically a closed minded bunch and sticking with those tired Fender designs is an easy choice. The Warwick market doesn't look to be improving, as although I'm seeing a few basses being pitched on here with amibitious prices they don't seem to be selling.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1103380' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:37 AM']I feel your pain, I'm trying to sell my Thumb BO5 at the moment and there's hardly been any interest (I've had two firm offers, one pulled out and the other involves a trade with another Warwick, which I want to move away from). I've knocked it down to £750 and still not had any more interest.

That's an insane price for a bass that costs nearing £2000 new, even from Thomann. If it were a Fender, they'd be going 2nd hand for £1.5kish.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm with you brother.

I think most musicians are pretty traditional to be honest. And this Fenders holding their value better reinforces this sorry circle.

Unlike Jack, I think buying a Fender one hasn't actually played is a total lottery. Whereas a with a Wick you can be resonably sure of what you will receive.

Warwicks just aren't flavour of the month at the moment.

I think the thing about them destroying their reputation with introducing a confusing range of gear isn't necessarily what's putting people off (car companies like Porsche have been doing a similar thing with their 911's for years and it hasn't stopped them selling mass quantities of them). They've (IMO) not dated very well, and whilst I happen to think that some Warwick basses are marvelous instruments I don't think their looks will stand the test of time. That's also probably contributed to the depreciation.

Perhaps it's just fashion then.

Warwicks may be like the Alfa Romeos of the bass world. Adored by those who love them, worth p1ss all to those who don't.

That's not a particularly good analogy as one is very reliable and the other isn't. Whoops!

Sometimes there is an itch and all you can do is scratch it.

The one thing going for you is that if you decide you made the wrong choice, hipefully you can sell the fender at a similar price you bought itf for, and take advantageof low warwick prices to buy a replacement.

Warwicks dont do it for me dunno why, but yours is nice.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='silddx' post='1103394' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:44 AM']Yeah, I'm with you brother.

I think most musicians are pretty traditional to be honest. And this Fenders holding their value better reinforces this sorry circle.

Unlike Jack, I think buying a Fender one hasn't actually played is a total lottery. Whereas a with a Wick you can be resonably sure of what you will receive.[/quote]

Traditional is not the word ha ha at least we are not as bad as our guitarist cousins they are ultra conservative when it comes to gear, what it boils down to is four models dominate for solid bodies and derivatives thereof i.e. telecaster, strat, les paul and the gretchy prs style designs, that is it, Then we have the complete joke that is guitar cabinets, they are basically a support structure for speakers at best, at worst they are modified wardrobes. But WEM tried some innovative solutions for solving the dispersion issues / sound quality improvements in the 60's but they bombed, because they didnt look like std wardrobe marshall / hiwatt was producing.

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='dan670844' post='1103504' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:43 PM']Traditional is not the word ha ha at least we are not as bad as our guitarist cousins they are ultra conservative when it comes to gear, what it boils down to is four models dominate for solid bodies and derivatives thereof i.e. telecaster, strat, les paul and the gretchy prs style designs, that is it, Then we have the complete joke that is guitar cabinets, they are basically a support structure for speakers at best, at worst they are modified wardrobes. But WEM tried some innovative solutions for solving the dispersion issues / sound quality improvements in the 60's but they bombed, because they didnt look like std wardrobe marshall / hiwatt was producing.[/quote]

But its a shame for warwick, i think every musical instrument / amplifier company goes through this, the company grows fast, i guess for warwick this happened in the 90's we all knew who used them, then the company gets too big, then it looses its core values / identitity, then they go mad, start building a million and one different ranges, products (look at what warwick do now) sometimes the company is sold, to a large outfit who just want to make beans (ampeg)

But eventually if all being well sense pervails............

Hopefully Hans Peter will realise, get back to the reality that warwick makes high quality original design basses (not amplifiers/ tuners guitar cases) in Germany, if you want to do something different start another company! Brand identity, core values is ultra important with musical gear and you can't just be in for the moeny you need to love it!

[quote name='silddx' post='1103237' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:03 AM']I want those dimensions in my hands. I just do.[/quote]

bet you say that to all the girls ! :)

Look, your a tool, OK. Don't sell the Warwick for silly money for a Fender. It's not worth it. Within weeks you'll be on here moaning about it, that you've been a silly boy.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1103530' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:56 PM']Hopefully Hans Peter will realise, get back to the reality that warwick makes high quality original design basses (not amplifiers/ tuners guitar cases) in Germany, if you want to do something different start another company! Brand identity, core values is ultra important with musical gear and you can't just be in for the moeny you need to love it![/quote]

I think a company can branch out into other related products, but it needs to be done right.

Warwick seem to have said "ok, our basses are successful, let's ignore them for a while and concentrate on the amps." which is silly, they're basically hiding their successful basses behind their mediocre amps.

I got offered an Endorsement a while back by Warwick but in the end I turned it down because they wanted me to have an amp too (I'm too hooked on GK). It struck me as a bit desperate that they either wanted me to take an amp off their hands for a lower (but still not great) price and they weren't really interested in endorsing me or they wanted to give me a bass endorsement but they were so eager to get rid of the amps that that was their priority. Either way, it put me right off in the end.

[quote name='Wil' post='1103314' date='Jan 26 2011, 10:51 AM']Hard times for everyone financially at the end of the day. That Spector was easily worth double what it went for![/quote]

Well, not really. It's worth what someone will pay for it, which on that particular day was £580. Brilliant value for money yes, worth double what it fetched - not on that day.

A Marshall DBS 7412 Cab (yes a 4 x 12) just went for £125 on Ebay. A few months ago one went for nearer £300!
As you say, a sign of the hard economic times.

Edited by Count Bassy

Oi, Nigel stop being such a tart :)

Do not buy sell your Warwick and buy a Fender Do not buy sell your Warwick and buy a Fender Do not buy sell your Warwick and buy a Fender
Do not buy sell your Warwick and buy a Fender Do not buy sell your Warwick and buy a Fender Do not buy sell your Warwick and buy a Fender

although if you really want a Fender look why not think about a Squire :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1103406' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:51 AM']They've (IMO) not dated very well, and whilst I happen to think that some Warwick basses are marvelous instruments I don't think their looks will stand the test of time. That's also probably contributed to the depreciation.[/quote]

I'm not sure about that, the two big designs, the Streamer and the Thumb, were both conceived in the 80's! In fact, the Streamer really goes further back than that because it's a Ned Steinberger design! Some of the newer models like the Vampyre and the Star bass are hideous, but the real Warwick classics still look good. The thing is, they've always been niche instruments, played by bassists who like to step away from the traditional Fender or Fender inspired designs. This market of players will always exist, but Warwick do go through phases of being "in" and at the moment they definitely seem to be out!

Around 2000/2001, it seemed like everyone wanted a Warwick and they were very popular but they've went into decline since then. I'm not sure if they'll ever see popularity like that again but they do make some good basses!

[quote name='silddx' post='1103234' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:59 AM']But I want a Jap Fender RI with a B&B neck. I can't understand why. I have wanted one for ages. I got a bonus at work and to my huge surprise and deep disappointment my normally faultless car ate it all in the MOT last month. All my cash went towards it, so the Wicks are going.[/quote]

Have you considered that even YOUR CAR doesn't want you to buy a Fender?

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1103646' date='Jan 26 2011, 01:54 PM']Oi, Nigel stop being such a tart :D

although if you really want a Fender look why not think about a Squire :P[/quote]

Why have I got an unexplainable urge to go to Warwick all of a sudden..? :) :) :lol:

If its a German made bass hold on to it because with the tripe that Warwick are throwing out lately the SH retail price will go up. All the eastern sh*te is exactly that. Even the strings, which were always produced in Korea AFAIK, are muck lately. I got 6 sets of red label this week and all of them contained a string or strings that were not up to scratch. (loose windings, badly kinked, frayed etc.) The standard range of basses is nowhere near the old German made range either.

Bottom line, hold on to it. Do a few pup/club gigs and get a Squire.

There's a few factors at bay here -

1. As many have already pointed out, Warwick aren't flavour of the month in the UK at the moment.

2. As per 1, but particularly on Basschat at the moment. Round these pages the word on Warwick is they are heavy, over-engneered, have necks like bassball bats and are prone to awful neck dive.

3. Right now is particularly bad on BC for selling Warwicks because there is a glut of them for sale. A Corvette Std that I saw sold on here for slightly better prices than they had been shifting for and suddenly loads of people put their 'wicks up for sale as the market is perceived as improving. I think the only models that will rally slightly are the Corvette Std and the Thumb BO. Why? Because they aren't making either of these in Germany anymore, so there is now a collectability factor for these models.

Don't worry though, I'm due a tax rebate and part of it is earmarked for a used Thumb NT 4 or any Warwick 5er. Just before the cheque hits my doormat the "Mojoed Warwick Orchestra" will have a huge global smash hit and you won't be able to buy a used for less than twice the price of a new one.

It's fashion, basically.

Instruments are as subject to the whims of the fashionistas as everything else. Flashy, exotic-wood basses aren't the in thing - it's all about the Fenders right now. Warwick aren't helping matters though - their endorser list is more or less all highbrow jazz-funk and session guys these days. They've jettisoned most of the rock and mainstream guys. Granted, the nu-metal era was something best forgotten, but they sold a lot of basses back then, when they were in the hands of players that people had actually heard of. (I'll excuse Stuart Zender and Adam Clayton from that list - shame their signature basses are fairly tragic).

With this change in fashions in mind, I'd be interested to see Warwick's take on a Jazz Bass. :) And regardless of fashion, if I can find a wenge-necked Streamer Stage II 5-string for a good price, it's mine. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1103677' date='Jan 26 2011, 02:08 PM'].... Some of the [b]newer[/b] models like the Vampyre and the [b]Star bass[/b] are hideous.....[/quote]

:)

[url="http://www.theguitarcollection.org.uk/gallery8/framus.html"]1959 Framus Star bass[/url]

:)

[quote name='mart' post='1103864' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:34 PM']:)

[url="http://www.theguitarcollection.org.uk/gallery8/framus.html"]1959 Framus Star bass[/url]

:)[/quote]

I do of course mean new to Warwick's catalogue of basses. After all, there is no way anyone could come up with something so hideous and outdated now, so logic dictates that it must be an awful old design erroneously ressurected!

Some very interesting points have been made throughout this thread but the punchline is [b]"do you think your Warwick is worth more than you're likely to be able to sell it for?". [/b]The answer is probably [b]"yes"[/b] so you would be foolish ( a tool) to sell it at the moment.

I've got a Bubinga Warwick Dolphin SN - not everybody's Cappacino I know, - bit too heavy for most people but it plays like a dream...doesn't suffer from neckdive like the Thumb and is relatively unusual..TBH it's sat in it's hardcase for the past few months as my "go to" bass is my VC but would I sell the Warwick at today's rediculously low prices?? - NO - it can sit safely in the hardcase till I either want to play it or till prices reflect the quality and, what IMO is the real value of this instrument - then I might sell...

Can you show me a Fender that can do the things your Wick does? Probably not - and that includes the Fender Zone which I bought recently - but only because it is unlike any other Fender I have seen (active/multi exotic woods). If you take the labels away you're comparing "state of the art" with "classic"..currently "classic" is flavour of the month.

Wasn't there a time when Wals were pretty much virtually impossible to sell - (when I didn't want one) - now I do, prices are up where they deserve to be for these fine instruments. One hopes that the market will eventually swing back towards "SOTA" and the quality of Wicks will again be acknowledged by the price..

Obviously there is also a question of supply and demand - currently lots of Wicks up for sale - what you need to do is convince all the owners of these to have a big fire somewhere so that they become rarer and the prices should then increase...mine won't be on the pile though..

Tuck your Wick away (ooh Matron..) till prices bounce back...You know your GAS for the Fender will fade once you actually own it..

see, the other thing on basschat is everyone jumps up and goes.... "oooh warwicks, not as good, oh no, very nu-metal, heavy things, baseball bat necks you sure you want one"
my bass is one of the lightest ive played and has an insanely thin neck.... there are good warwicks out there!