Why become a member? ×

Parallel/series Wiring

Pete Academy

I've been on Harmony Central looking at reviews of my Roscoe SKB5, and someone mentions buying one that the original owner had wired 'parallel instead of series'. He said it sounded better.

I don't understand this sort of thing, but I'm intrigued.

How would this affect the sound?

Anyone out there that can offer an explanation?

Generally series wiring will have a fuller and fatter midrange with a subdued high end than a pickup wired in parallel, which will typically have more highs and a deeper low end with a cleaner midrange.

edit to add:

If the original pickups have been rewired it might mean that a pickup that's made to sound good wired parallel might be too hot and dark sounding if wired in series - and vice versa for a series wired to parallel, perhaps too thin.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1104190' date='Jan 26 2011, 07:04 PM']I've been on Harmony Central looking at reviews of my Roscoe SKB5, and someone mentions buying one that the original owner had wired 'parallel instead of series'. He said it sounded better.

I don't understand this sort of thing, but I'm intrigued.

How would this affect the sound?

Anyone out there that can offer an explanation?[/quote]

It's a bit of a subjective thing.

If you wire the pickups in parallel then each pickup is essentially acting as a filter for it's partner.
The tone is therefore a little 'tinnier' than before but the output is reduced.
It's a little bit like having a coil tap... but not quite...

If you want to play around with this then it's probably best to install a little switch (or change an existing pot to one with a pull switch built in if you don't want to drill the bass).

Edited by icastle

Series is having the coils in a line so they share a path.
Parallel is where the coils each have their own path.

Series has higher resistance so sounds a little warmer and less clean.
Parallel is a little brighter and punchier sounding but lacks weight.

There is also a volume difference. Series is a louder setting because of changes in voltage that happen.

Depending on whether you're running a passive or active bass, or whether there's a buffer preamp between the pickups and the amp in an active bass, other impedance related changes to the sound can happen too. This means you may not get the same results using the bass with different amps or same amp but different pedals.

All of the above can be compensated for with a decent onboard eq, but it does involve more knob twiddling on your part.

I don't bother with switching into series because of the volume changes. I just switch between parallel and single coil settings.

[quote name='Bottle' post='1104386' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:10 PM']I've modded my passive Ibanez to switch between series and parallel wiring at the flick of a switch (just check out the build thread in my sig).

There's a copy of the diagram I used posted in there somewhere - that may help things along

HTH,
Ian[/quote]

Thanks Ian, I'll take a look.