Why become a member? ×

2x10 + 1x15 Epifani or EBS - any experience?

smoke

Recently I got myself a TD650 head. Before that I bought Epifani UL210 to go with my old combo with a 1x15 speaker - don't ask, that was a weird combination but it sounded rather good). The idea was always that I get lightweight cabs but be able to cover the whole range of frequencies and get a good versatile sound.

Since getting the TD650 I got to play it through an EBS ProLine 4x10 cab, which sounded great, but man is it heavy to carry around!!!! This just confirmed my initial thought that I want to go lightweight. Since I'm still in my infancy when it comes to playing the bass I was hoping to get some advice from you guys.
Here are the option that I'm considering at the moment:

1. Get a UL115 to go with UL210 I already have - this would be for gigs when I need more power and more sound in general. I have to say I find the UL210 a bit dry and hm, sharp maybe (almost too defined) when run by TD650 on its own. Is an addition of the 1x15 going to make a difference?

2. Sell my UL210 and get EBS Neo cabs 2x10 and 1x15 instead?

3. Something totally different?

The idea is to have lightweight gear I can carry around without pulling my back out every time I get it in/out of the boot of my car. I'd like to also have the ability to just take 2x10 or 1x15 cab with me to rehearsals and smaller venues without a great compromise on the sound.

Hi Ya,

I have an Epifani UL 410 cab.

It is a fantastic cab , you can get the sound mix of a 210 , 410 & 115 all from one cab. And it is really light :)

I would highly recomend the Epifani UL 410 4 Ohm cab which is currently in the for sale section. Awesome cabs.

Plus . . . . . . . . i would be interested in buying your Epi 210 cab :)

UL410 is 30kg which is not bad considering UL210 is 20kg... but it's the size of it that worries me the most ... I'd have to lug it with me all the time, whereas if I had two smaller cabs then I could choose which one to take with me, or take them both.
:)

When I had an Epifani 410 it was almost a one handed lift! But if it really is too big I'd get another 210. Except for Alex's Barefaced Compact I don't see any benefit in using 115's these days. You can get as much bass out of a modern 410 (or 2 210's) but you also get the definition, mids and punch to fight your way to the front of any band racket.

I'd get the Epifani 410 in the FS section and see how you feel. You can always sell it on if it doesn't suit.

I like 2x10's to be quite hard sounding on stage but this does take some getting used to.
You stand a very good chance of retaining a very punchy tight sound out front if you can adjust.
I would try and match up with another 2x10 and use one or both cabs to cover anything.

I find 15" cabs redundant these days and no use on their own.

I've looked at the numbers of both 210 and 115 cabs, for both Epi and EBS and yes, there's very little difference in therms of frequencies, responses and other things... fine the speaker is larger and the 'box' is differently constructed, but the differences on the paper are not great. I have tested recently a Hartke rig, 4x10 on it's own and then with a 1x15 + 4x10 and I could actually hear the difference in the low end, so I'm not sure now if I was imagining that or if it does make a difference.
I certainly don't want to invest in a 115 and then find out that a) it makes no difference and :) no one else wants it, so resell value is zilch!

Grrrr... 410 is just too big to go in and out of doors and in and out of the car... I'll have to try somewhere 2x210s and see how that feels!

Generally though, EBS Neoline cabs or stick with Epifani?

[quote name='smoke' post='1109810' date='Jan 31 2011, 06:26 PM']I've looked at the numbers of both 210 and 115 cabs, for both Epi and EBS and yes, there's very little difference in therms of frequencies, responses and other things... fine the speaker is larger and the 'box' is differently constructed, but the differences on the paper are not great. I have tested recently a Hartke rig, 4x10 on it's own and then with a 1x15 + 4x10 and I could actually hear the difference in the low end, so I'm not sure now if I was imagining that or if it does make a difference.
I certainly don't want to invest in a 115 and then find out that a) it makes no difference and :) no one else wants it, so resell value is zilch![/quote]
2 things:
1. The specs may read the same on paper but are probably not quite reality. Lots of threads discuss this. Like you say, you need to try them.
2. just coz JTUK doesn't like 15s doesn't mean there isn't a market for them. Personally I ONLY use 15s at the moment :)

• 3 weeks later...

... :) .... I've been playing for a couple weeks just on my 2x10 Epifani and the TD650 and tonight I noticed that when my amp is on (not just on stand by, but fully on) and the volume is on 0 (zero) I can still hear a distorted buzz coming from the cab (mainly from the horn, but not exclusively) if I pick/pluck a string .... is this normal or have I buggered something up?

Epifani 2x10 is 8ohm ... if that's got anything to do with it

I know this is not a repair section, but it looks like you guys have played around with the EBS gear and Epifani cabs much more, so I thought I'd ask. :)

... also, I can't tell the difference at all when I turn the drive nob up .... I could with the 4x10 EBS cab!

Edited by smoke

[quote name='smoke' post='1132738' date='Feb 18 2011, 08:38 PM']... :) .... I've been playing for a couple weeks just on my 2x10 Epifani and the TD650 and tonight I noticed that when my amp is on (not just on stand by, but fully on) and the volume is on 0 (zero) I can still hear a distorted buzz coming from the cab (mainly from the horn, but not exclusively) if I pick/pluck a string .... is this normal or have I buggered something up?

Epifani 2x10 is 8ohm ... if that's got anything to do with it

I know this is not a repair section, but it looks like you guys have played around with the EBS gear and Epifani cabs much more, so I thought I'd ask. :)

... also, I can't tell the difference at all when I turn the drive nob up .... I could with the 4x10 EBS cab![/quote]

Hmm, i run an EBS hd350 into a series 1 UL210 and don't get any buzzing on 0. The only time i get any sort of excess noise is when i've got the tweeter turned up a bit and the amp at about 8 without anything plugged in (just checked) and nothing at all when the tweeters off.