Why become a member? ×

Ohms quickie...

Bassulike66

Firstly forgive my ignorance on this matter, but i have the age old Ohms question!

I am currently running an Ashdown ABM 810 4 ohm cab, driven by an Ashdown 600w MAG amp. (with 2 x 4 0hm outputs).

I am pondering on running an Ashdown ABM115 at 8 0hms, (300W continuous, 600W programme).

Would there be a significant change/clash in sound when running these two cabs together, would there be any damage caused to frequencies, signal, or speaker???!!!

Thanks in advance...

It all depends on those two output sockets on your head.

If they're individually labelled 4 Ohms, you [i]should[/i] be fine... but if the labelling suggests that the total impedance for both is 4 Ohms, then you're potentially in trouble.

The 'standard' is for a [b]total[/b] load of 4 Ohms [i]irrespective of the number of sockets[/i]. Plugging an 8 Ohm cab and a 4 Ohm cab into them will result in a load of 2.67 Ohms, & that would be bad.

Check via Ashdown if there's any doubt - they have an archive of user manuals & the specs should reveal all.

P.

[quote name='Protium' post='1106386' date='Jan 28 2011, 04:29 PM']99% sure the outputs are parallel, so will be 4ohm total. Means you can't use both cabs together unfortunately.[/quote]

It's certainly looks that way!

I've just had a glance at their manual archive, it's about as informative as the dead sea scroll's! :)

I'm pretty sure the outputs are parallel....

I've mailed them just to clarify, i would hate to stuff it up!

Edited by Bassulike66