Why become a member? ×

New bass amp day

LukeFRC

Well I thought I would just write a wee bit to say than you to you lot for buying/selling amps and most of all all your advice.

Well the big chunky and amazing sounding H&K Quantum 600 eventually sold. To be honest, I had the room or a car I would never have sold it, it has an amazing warm valvey tone with massive punch in the low mids.

It's been replaced with keith's old Tecamp puma 1000.
and wow... under 3kg, and small.... I'm only using half of it (so 500w) at the mo... and so loud sounding.
It's a thinner faster sound, not got the depth or thickness of the quantum.... but blow me down, what a low end! so thick and loud and there, it makes you realise some amps must start cutting the volume below a certain point.
There is a lovely clearness to the tone, i could hear slight intonation and tuning issues that i never did on the warmth of the H&K.
I've only had a while but it seems to have so many different sounds it can make. flat it sounds awesome... then the taste knob seems to be more vintage sounding one way, and scooped and aggressive the other, combined with the eq this seems limitless possibilities.
And not even looked at the compressor yet.

Quite an amp.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='charic' post='1110602' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:11 AM']Tried recording it yet and listening back? That was the recent eureka moment for me :)[/quote]

No, but that is what I was thinking as I played this morning, i bet this sounds good through a PA/recorded.

What is also new for me is the eq. the hughes and kettner has a very good eq but the amp also has a very warm tone, so basically your bass is coloured by the amp whatever. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it is a lovely warm pumping thick sound, the valve compression is also great on it.
However the puma's eq is so different, small tweaks just majorly change the whole tone, the taste control also, tiny movements and it sounds so different. The Eq points are so so well situated, like perfectly, and with both my basses.
Also the compressor used subtlety is awesome, and it seems to be built in to how you use the tone of the thing.

Does anyone have nay experiences with how they use the taste control?

So Luke you got your Tecamp in the end! Woohooo!

Didn't go for half measures either, that head must be awesome.

With regards to the taste dial, to my ears I set it around 12 to 2 o'clock to get the sounds I wanted from the 212 combo. Obviously what ever your cabs are will make a massive difference.

[quote name='patch006' post='1110718' date='Feb 1 2011, 10:15 AM']So Luke you got your Tecamp in the end! Woohooo!

Didn't go for half measures either, that head must be awesome.

With regards to the taste dial, to my ears I set it around 12 to 2 o'clock to get the sounds I wanted from the 212 combo. Obviously what ever your cabs are will make a massive difference.[/quote]

the cab is a Tecamp M210-4 pretty awesome, and worked out as the last of the tecamp bargins from guitarguitar at £130 ish...... ! yeah I know!

to go from normal speakers and heafty poweramps with valves to neo-speakers and class D is a bit of a change, I'll get used to it though. I also never though I would have a puma 1000, maybe a 500 if i was lucky but it seems to me the compressor and how it is used (in small amounts) are a big part of the tone... plus if i got another cab........ wooo!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1108741' date='Jan 30 2011, 09:46 PM']Well I thought I would just write a wee bit to say than you to you lot for buying/selling amps and most of all all your advice.

Well the big chunky and amazing sounding H&K Quantum 600 eventually sold. To be honest, I had the room or a car I would never have sold it, it has an amazing warm valvey tone with massive punch in the low mids.

It's been replaced with keith's old Tecamp puma 1000.
and wow... under 3kg, and small.... I'm only using half of it (so 500w) at the mo... and so loud sounding.
It's a thinner faster sound, not got the depth or thickness of the quantum.... but blow me down, what a low end! so thick and loud and there, it makes you realise some amps must start cutting the volume below a certain point.
There is a lovely clearness to the tone, i could hear slight intonation and tuning issues that i never did on the warmth of the H&K.
I've only had a while but it seems to have so many different sounds it can make. flat it sounds awesome... then the taste knob seems to be more vintage sounding one way, and scooped and aggressive the other, combined with the eq this seems limitless possibilities.
And not even looked at the compressor yet.

Quite an amp.[/quote]

Truly outstanding amps, the tecamps. I tend to keep the taste either at 12 o'clock or all the way up clockwise, depending on what bass adn tune i'm playing.
Hard to beat, I decided I'm not selling mine after all, too good to let go.

I'm loving my Tecamp at the moment! We need some Pictures Luke!

I usually have the Low Mids around 2 O'clock, Treble about 1 O'clock and Taste around 10 O'clock, but then my 212 combo has a mid range driver as well so it might be a very different tone to the one you hear if you did that.