Why become a member? ×

Fake Roland ev5

paul_5

OK, here's the deal. I've just bought an EHX Memory boy, but the full amount of delay is only available with the expression plugged in, ut I want to keep that for the Boss SYB5.

My idea is this, build a device that fakes the extra impedance delivered by the EV5, to 'fool' the MB into thinking I've still got it plugged in.

I'm guessing a TRS jack and a fixed value resistor, any thoughts on what value works for this sort of application? Also would this actually work?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1120858' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:13 AM']OK, here's the deal. I've just bought an EHX Memory boy, but the full amount of delay is only available with the expression plugged in, ut I want to keep that for the Boss SYB5.

My idea is this, build a device that fakes the extra impedance delivered by the EV5, to 'fool' the MB into thinking I've still got it plugged in.

I'm guessing a TRS jack and a fixed value resistor, any thoughts on what value works for this sort of application? Also would this actually work?[/quote]

Having had a quick browse of the instruction manual it certainly sounds as though this would work.

Best way of finding the correct value resistor would be to use the EV5 to get the appropriate level of delay, then unplug it and measure the resistance between the tip and (I'm guessing here) the sleeve of the EV5.

The 'low tech way' would be to take the bottom off of the EV5 and take a punt on the value of the resistor needed based on pot value and how far round it's gone to give the effect you like.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1122457' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:37 AM']Steady now!

had a play last night with a fixed resistor and a 90 degree jack plug - seems to work quite well. I'll probably mount a small pot in a plastic box eventually to keep my options open.[/quote]

Excellent :)

Just out of interest, was it tip to sleeve or tip to ring you ended up using?

[quote name='icastle' post='1122477' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:58 AM']Excellent :)

Just out of interest, was it tip to sleeve or tip to ring you ended up using?[/quote]
Ring to sleeve seems to work - don't know why. I started out with tip to sleeve, but that just gave the same settings as having the pedal rocked all the way back (minimal delay/modulation) I'll have a play with tip to ring tonight t see if that's any better. I'll keep you posted.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1123030' date='Feb 10 2011, 07:07 PM']Ring to sleeve seems to work - don't know why. I started out with tip to sleeve, but that just gave the same settings as having the pedal rocked all the way back (minimal delay/modulation) I'll have a play with tip to ring tonight t see if that's any better. I'll keep you posted.[/quote]

Cool :)