Why become a member? ×

Orange TB and eq pedal

razze06

I'm in the lucky situation of owning both a tecamp puma 350 and an orange TB, but neither is able to do what I want on their own.

The tecamp has all the tonal versatility I like in amp, given that I like to play different basses with different chracteristics. It lacks a bit of power when used with a single 8 ohm cab, and doesn't do any form of mild grit, dirt, or touch-contrallable OD (to my ears).

The orange has what the tecamp lacks, i.e. power at all impedances and grit and valve OD, but it's got one sound only. The base sound is very dark, and it doesn't go well with some of my favourite basses, like the T40 or the Ned Callan.

How well do you think the orange will respond to an eq or tone shaping pedal in the fx loop, or alternatively how useful would a valve OD pedal or pre work with the tecamp?

Personally I think you'd be better off selling them both and getting something more suitable! :)

Out of the two options it's a tough one though. My gut says that the Tecamp might be a better bet, with a nice valvey OD pedal you'd have a great range of tones available but the lack of power would worry me somewhat,

Good luck!

I used a Sansamp BDDI with my OTB, and it sounded great, much more control over sound/eq. In the end though, I swapped the OTB for a TC Electronic Classic 450, which can do what the OTB and Sansamp can do, but on its own (and much more as well).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1122399' date='Feb 10 2011, 10:18 AM']Can you just use the Orange's power amp and bypass its preamp by running your bass into a preamp pedal and then that into the FX return?[/quote]

I could, but in that case wouldn't I be (financially) better off with just a good power amp and a pre?

I was hoping to preserve some of the tonal quality of the Orange's preamp, particularly the old fashioned OD, with added control on overall tone.

Or maybe I should look for something that does that tone better for me. I am thinking back to the TC RH450, which would work very well with the TC cab i'm using now...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1122435' date='Feb 10 2011, 11:02 AM']I was thinking you could swap between using the Orange the normal way and preamp-bypassed depending on the gig and the bass. Have you tried using the Puma as the preamp and Orange as power amp?[/quote]

No, i'm trying that combination tomorrow night at the practice room. I'll report back :)

Didn't really work for me. Using the tecamp as a pre did something to the tone, but ultimately the base tone of the orange just isn't for me, and I would end up using it as an OD effect for the tecamp.

Red Dog music here in edinburgh were kind enough to take the orange back as a return, and I got myself a TC RH450. Excellent shop, great prices and Will is a good man to deal with.

Gigged the TC at the weekend, and found it be just what i was looking for. It really comes alive in the mix, and i'll be looking to shift the tecamp soon.

Thanks for the help and advice.