Why become a member? ×

elephant ear tuners

danbowskill

just a wonder really?
got a late 80's jap hardpuncher and pimping on a budget,got some sd q,pounders on it and want to black up the bits n bob's !
the only trouble is i cannot find any fender style elephant ears to fit my peg holes,there 2mm smaller than the fender/standard size .
im not to keen on the idea of drilling the holes bigger (as i love this bass)!

has anyone sprayed their hardware before?
any good(no chipping etc),if so can you recomend a paint/laquer to use. ta

Edited by danbowskill

You'd need to get them electroplated or powder coated. I'd recommend going to your local custom or British motorcycle emporium, both of which will be able to arrange this for you. Powder coating is by far the best way BTW, as black chrome and anodising have a tendency to scratch.

Edited by Max Normal

Thats right, powder coating only works on alloys/alu. To my knowledge any way having worked in the cycle industry where alot is powder coated.

How I would do it is this;
Get the chrome off, sand it, shoot it what ever it takes to get it off.

Primer it, applying thin even coats and sanding lightly between coats. Aim for about 4 coats or until the whole thing is smooth.

Put a couple of thin coats of what ever colour paint you want on it, leaving at least a few hours in-between coats, as well as sanding it with smooth paper.

Let it dry thoroughly before applying a couple of coats of lacquer.

Before putting on your bass, let them dry thoroughly in a warm room for ideally a few days. The paint will still sweat after its dry, you'll be able to tell as it still smells of paint.

Just my method anyway. Guess what I did at uni?!

Dan