Why become a member? ×

Too many pedals for my board!!

Gunsfreddy2003

Bought a Pedaltrain Jr a while ago to put all my pedals on which was fine but some recent purchases and xmas presents mean that I have now run out of space on my board!

I am having problems deciding what to take off and leave on and wonder if anyone has any advice? Do any of you have two separate boards with your favourite pedals on each? If so how would you split mine up?

The pedals that I have are as follows:

TC Electonics Polytune, Mu-Tron III, Agent OO Funk Mark II, MXR M82, Aguilar Filter Twin, Sadowsky Pre-amp, EBS Octabass, EBS Multi-Comp, EBS Uni-Chorus, Catalinbread Serrano Picosso, Chunk Systems Brown Dog

I use the Chunk Agent OO Funk and Brown dog for a synth type sound in a few of our tracks, the MXR Filter for a synth type sound when slapping and the Mu-Tron for my standard filter sound. So would struggle to use less filters!

Any advice gratefully received!

Sounds like the Catalinbread could in favour of using either the Sadowsky or the EBS Multi-Comp as a volume boost (assuming that's what you're using the Serrano Picosso for). Maybe also figure out settings that you could adjust to quickly so that you could ditch the MXR in favour of the OO Funk and Brown Dog for all your synth sounds.

Oh, my advice fee is one of your discarded pedals :)

Ha ha - very expensive advice there!

Yes the Catalinbread was for boosting the signal of the jazz so is kind of surplus to requirements now but also only takes up a tiny bit of room on the board.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1125986' date='Feb 13 2011, 02:34 PM']Sounds like the Catalinbread could in favour of using either the Sadowsky or the EBS Multi-Comp as a volume boost (assuming that's what you're using the Serrano Picosso for). Maybe also figure out settings that you could adjust to quickly so that you could ditch the MXR in favour of the OO Funk and Brown Dog for all your synth sounds.

Oh, my advice fee is one of your discarded pedals :)[/quote]

Then maybe ditch the Sadowsky and the Catalinbread? If the Sadowsky is always on, rather than a kick on effect, then how about possibly duplicating the EQ changes on your amp head? That would leave just using the Multi-Comp for a signal boost. Given all the filters you're running, I'd keep the compressor to protect against spikes.

Also, maybe ditch all but one of your synth making devices and work at replicating all three sounds with various settings on the one pedal? Ideally it would be great to hold onto everything rather than make changes during the gig - that's my personal preference - but alas your board dictates otherwise. You could always just get a bigger board - and then get MORE PEDALS!!!!!!

Doh!

Just realised that I do have a Pedaltrain 2 and not the Jr - really don't want a bigger board as it gets too big and too heavy!

Maybe the Mu-Tron should be kept at home as it is valuable and also takes up the most space?

[quote name='deej' post='1126089' date='Feb 13 2011, 04:36 PM']Get a bigger board, keep the pedals on it, have more fun!

I started with a PT-pro, then I went down to a Jr. Now ive just bought a PT-2 because I cant make up my mind.[/quote]

I had my Mu-Tron re-calibrated by L-Sound in the states and that helps to avoid some of the problems with tone sucking as it is now true bypass and works fine for live use.

Only just got the Sadowsky so no chance of that going anywhere and the Serrano came from you originally if you remember?

[quote name='Higgie' post='1126280' date='Feb 13 2011, 07:10 PM']I've never used my Original Mutron live. Always other filters I've had at the time. Now I use a Prometheus for Auto Wah and a Proteus for standard filter stuff. If you wanna offload either the Serrano or Sadowsky - PM me :)[/quote]

Would love to but I made a conscious effort last year when I changed my rig to make sure that I was ultra lightweight and portable. Taking on a bigger board really nullifies that argument.

Thinking that the Sadowsky and Aguilar Filter Twin might just have to replace the Mu-Tron!!!

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1126384' date='Feb 13 2011, 08:24 PM']Due to my slight OCD I would personally buy a bigger board to fit them all on :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1126360' date='Feb 13 2011, 08:10 PM']I had my Mu-Tron re-calibrated by L-Sound in the states and that helps to avoid some of the problems with tone sucking as it is now true bypass and works fine for live use.

Only just got the Sadowsky so no chance of that going anywhere and the Serrano came from you originally if you remember?[/quote]

Higgie had the same done to his Mutron.

What amp do you have? Personally I'd ditch the Sadowsky Pre-amp & EBS Multi-Comp, the Serrano is the tiny boost from Catalinbread so it's hardly taking up room, you could look at getting a Octavius Squeezer to replace the 00Funk and Brown Dog.

You do have a lot of filters, would look at ditching a few and just having 2 and something like an LS-2 to run them in parallel to get those really wet sounds that no single filter can do on it's own.

I didn't think that Higgie had had his modded as he says that that is the reason that he can't use it live. I use a Mark Bass III and Bergantino cabs.

I have only just bought the Sadowsky pre-amp and need that to fatten up the tone on the jazz bass - really like that sound and not keen to drop it.

Does Octavius Squeezer offer same sounds as the two other Chunk Pedals? Would make sense to combine those two as I don't use the fuzz by itself and also could live without the 00 Funk as the AGuilar and MXR offer a better filter sound.

Never used a LS-2 how would that work?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1128572' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:47 PM']Higgie had the same done to his Mutron.

What amp do you have? Personally I'd ditch the Sadowsky Pre-amp & EBS Multi-Comp, the Serrano is the tiny boost from Catalinbread so it's hardly taking up room, you could look at getting a Octavius Squeezer to replace the 00Funk and Brown Dog.

You do have a lot of filters, would look at ditching a few and just having 2 and something like an LS-2 to run them in parallel to get those really wet sounds that no single filter can do on it's own.[/quote]

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1128572' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:47 PM']You do have a lot of filters, would look at ditching a few and just having 2 and something like an LS-2 to run them in parallel to get those really wet sounds that no single filter can do on it's own.[/quote]
that's where i am at the moment (cheers for the ls-2 tayste).

squelch city.

the vxl could be replaced, as it takes up a lot of space, but i haven't yet found anything that sounds as good for its pre-shape.

[attachment=72289:P1000755.JPG]

bass>oct>vxl>ls-2

loop a. mxr>s.a. env filt

loop b. octavius squeezer

sorry about the dark photo.

Edited by phil.i.stein

Can you explain how your signal chain looks?

Did you buy the Source Audio pedal in the UK?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1128655' date='Feb 15 2011, 06:00 PM']that's where i am at the moment (cheers for the ls-2 tayste).

squelch city.

the vxl could be replaced, as it takes up a lot of space, but i haven't yet found anything that sounds as good for its pre-shape.

[attachment=72289:P1000755.JPG]

bass>oct>vxl>ls-2

loop a. mxr>s.a. env filt

loop b. octavius squeezer

sorry about the dark photo.[/quote]

as above.

i'm still experimenting, but basically,

octaver first>hartke vxl.

this signal goes into the LS-2.

the LS-2 splits the signal, one side to the fuzz and envelope filter, the other side to the octavius squeezer (which i'm using as a synth most of the time)

the two channels can then be mixed at whatever volume is required.

p.s. although he was viewed as a contentious character, i wish Kev (TNIT) would still post in this forum, his advice has been invaluable.

edit : the source audio was from thomann.de

my groove regulator is up for sale because of this beast.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1128572' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:47 PM']Higgie had the same done to his Mutron.[/quote]

Actually I didn't! I had it sent to the GigRig who modded the Power input to take a standard 9v so it can be daisy chained, using 2 Virtual Batteries and some clever wiring!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1128598' date='Feb 15 2011, 05:12 PM']I didn't think that Higgie had had his modded as he says that that is the reason that he can't use it live. I use a Mark Bass III and Bergantino cabs.

I have only just bought the Sadowsky pre-amp and need that to fatten up the tone on the jazz bass - really like that sound and not keen to drop it.

Does Octavius Squeezer offer same sounds as the two other Chunk Pedals? Would make sense to combine those two as I don't use the fuzz by itself and also could live without the 00 Funk as the AGuilar and MXR offer a better filter sound.

Never used a LS-2 how would that work?[/quote]

Yes I do remember selling you the Catalinbread. I miss it!

The Octavius is basically the Brown Dog and 00Funk with some octave and LFO features IIRC, making it a one pedal Synth Station. I really want a Brown Dog again! Let me know if you go for the Octavius...I'd love to have the BD off you.

PS, The LS-2 is awesome. It's the pedal world's Swiss Army Knife. Although beware. Your setup will end up getting a whole lot more complicated! :)

Edit: Was it you I sold my Brown Dog to as well?! I can't remember where that one went.

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' post='1129131' date='Feb 16 2011, 12:56 AM']PS, The LS-2 is awesome. It's the pedal world's Swiss Army Knife. Although beware. Your setup will end up getting a whole lot more complicated! :)[/quote]

But in a good way, this is how so many of those classic fx sounds have been achieved, really though the ultimate system is an LS-2 with 2 signal chains in parallel all in the loop of an X-Blender, that is the ultimate in usable bass fx, isn't that right Higgie.

I would look at getting a preamp in the Jazz over using an external preamp but that's just me, I went down that road and it was annoying to always have to take the entire board with me to get my tone.

Hi Higgie,

Will let you know if I go for the Octavius for sure - BTW my Brown Dog was bought brand new so not sure where yours went!!

[quote name='Higgie' post='1129131' date='Feb 16 2011, 12:56 AM']Actually I didn't! I had it sent to the GigRig who modded the Power input to take a standard 9v so it can be daisy chained, using 2 Virtual Batteries and some clever wiring!

Yes I do remember selling you the Catalinbread. I miss it!

The Octavius is basically the Brown Dog and 00Funk with some octave and LFO features IIRC, making it a one pedal Synth Station. I really want a Brown Dog again! Let me know if you go for the Octavius...I'd love to have the BD off you.

PS, The LS-2 is awesome. It's the pedal world's Swiss Army Knife. Although beware. Your setup will end up getting a whole lot more complicated! :)

Edit: Was it you I sold my Brown Dog to as well?! I can't remember where that one went.[/quote]

Is the Bass Envelope Filter from Source Audio really that good?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1128678' date='Feb 15 2011, 06:17 PM']as above.

i'm still experimenting, but basically,

octaver first>hartke vxl.

this signal goes into the LS-2.

the LS-2 splits the signal, one side to the fuzz and envelope filter, the other side to the octavius squeezer (which i'm using as a synth most of the time)

the two channels can then be mixed at whatever volume is required.

p.s. although he was viewed as a contentious character, i wish Kev (TNIT) would still post in this forum, his advice has been invaluable.

edit : the source audio was from thomann.de

my groove regulator is up for sale because of this beast.[/quote]

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1129283' date='Feb 16 2011, 09:46 AM']But in a good way, this is how so many of those classic fx sounds have been achieved, really though the ultimate system is an LS-2 with 2 signal chains in parallel all in the loop of an X-Blender, that is the ultimate in usable bass fx, isn't that right Higgie.

I would look at getting a preamp in the Jazz over using an external preamp but that's just me, I went down that road and it was annoying to always have to take the entire board with me to get my tone.[/quote]

Yeah - Doing that sounds awesome. The way I have my board at the moment is set up a little differently from that as I wanted some effects outside of the XBlender, but it does essentially the same job, just in a different context.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1130246' date='Feb 16 2011, 08:54 PM']Is the Bass Envelope Filter from Source Audio really that good?[/quote]
i really like it for the sheer number of different sounds you can get from one pedal.

granted, it is digital, and doesn't have the fx loop of the gr., but for versatility it is fantastic, and can do a bigger range of sounds than the g.r.

it seems to go much more squelchy/wet. i do hope they end up doing a 'pro' version, like the mwbs, with presets and a blend.

the phaser setting is a major bonus too.

try it, i doubt you'd be disappointed.

edit : the O.S. is the best synth pedal i've tried (out of syb-5, akai sb-1,and korg g-5), but demands a great deal of patience !!!! you will not find it as easy to use as the 00 and bd. the manual is extensive and at first a total headf***. perseverence does pay off though.

Edited by phil.i.stein

That is what is appealing about the BEF is that from the demo's on the web it seems to do everything from MuTron to Synth with everything in between which is really good but without user presets I think there could be a great deal of time spent knob fiddling! I think that is how I ended up with so many filters I just like to have a sound set up and then click it on when needed. Not sure that I could cope with the O.S. and all those settings!!

Beginning to think that I might just have to buy a Pedaltrain Mini to go alongside the PT-2 or just live with exchanging pedals off the board for different gigs.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1130258' date='Feb 16 2011, 09:04 PM']i really like it for the sheer number of different sounds you can get from one pedal.

granted, it is digital, and doesn't have the fx loop of the gr., but for versatility it is fantastic, and can do a bigger range of sounds than the g.r.

it seems to go much more squelchy/wet. i do hope they end up doing a 'pro' version, like the mwbs, with presets and a blend.

the phaser setting is a major bonus too.

try it, i doubt you'd be disappointed.

edit : the O.S. is the best synth pedal i've tried (out of syb-5, akai sb-1,and korg g-5), but demands a great deal of patience !!!! you will not find it as easy to use as the 00 and bd. the manual is extensive and at first a total headf***. perseverence does pay off though.[/quote]