Why become a member? ×

Touring cabinet choice...Orange only.

Musicman20

The first part of good news is that I am officially back in gigging mode. My old band needed me to come back, and luckily I felt ready and more willing to play as much as possible. A year off was enough!

The second part of good news is that they have been lucky/worked hard enough to get some help from Orange amps. They have agreed on an endorsement so myself and the two guitarists are looking at rigs for March onwards.

Yes, I have the full stack, but I'd like an alternative that will be stored and heavily gigged.

I'm thinking of the Bass Terror plus two SP212s. Small and punchy! Failing that, another OBC 115 or 410 so I can mix and match or just take one and let that do all the work going around the UK and Europe.

I would love the 8x10, but I really don't think we could handle the size.

I may look into a backup AD200b...all depends.

What would you do?

The whole backline is going to be Orange.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1125946' date='Feb 13 2011, 02:02 PM']The first part of good news is that I am officially back in gigging mode. My old band needed me to come back, and luckily I felt ready and more willing to play as much as possible. A year off was enough!

The second part of good news is that they have been lucky/worked hard enough to get some help from Orange amps. They have agreed on an endorsement so myself and the two guitarists are looking at rigs for March onwards.

Yes, I have the full stack, but I'd like an alternative that will be stored and heavily gigged.

I'm thinking of the Bass Terror plus two SP212s. Small and punchy! Failing that, another OBC 115 or 410 so I can mix and match or just take one and let that do all the work going around the UK and Europe.

I would love the 8x10, but I really don't think we could handle the size.

I may look into a backup AD200b...all depends.

What would you do?

The whole backline is going to be Orange.[/quote]

Has to be the 8x10 IF you know what the stages are going to be like, ie a certain standard and size and indeed the trucking plus access in to the stage.

For a mini stage gig you'll need something that will stack to around chest height, minimum, IME..if that is 2 SP212 then that might work..but don't stack them vertically, that is such a terrible look..and this might count in this situation.

If the 810 is too unmanageable, get a Terror plus two 410s. In larger venues use both, in regular venues just use the one. Nothing wrong with the SP cabs, and they are plenty loud, but when I used one I thought it lacked depth of sound,which I wouldn`t be happy with on tour, especially not knowing the size of the venues. The Terror and two 410s will see you through with no problems, no matter what size of venue.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1125962' date='Feb 13 2011, 02:12 PM']Has to be the 8x10 IF you know what the stages are going to be like, ie a certain standard and size and indeed the trucking plus access in to the stage.

For a mini stage gig you'll need something that will stack to around chest height, minimum, IME..if that is 2 SP212 then that might work..but don't stack them vertically, that is such a terrible look..and this might count in this situation.[/quote]

Good points.

For me it would be the AD200 and the OBC 4x10 if I was going to an all Orange set up. If it was for full on touring, I would assume that I would have decent transport to get to and from gigs, so the need for compact wouldn't be that important. 4x10 is big enough do manage any gig really and if needed another one will lead to an 8x10 basically.

For me, I only put a premium on compact for one-off gigs in town where I need to get a taxi to and from the gig.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1126563' date='Feb 13 2011, 11:37 PM']Why's that BB? I always thought a vertical format was recommended for best projection[/quote]
The two speakers in each cab is hardly conventional anyway & I tend to raise mine by placing it on a flight case. They are small so it is more an aesthetic thing to have them side by side as opposed to any tonal advantage. My single 210SP really pumps it out so projection isn't a problem for me

If you are using the valve head, then the smart power cabs probably aren't the ideal thing, they trade sensitivity for size, so the cost of being small is they want more power for volume. Only big is true when you have the limits on max power. With the terror bass, probably happy with those cabs.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1128573' date='Feb 15 2011, 04:48 PM']I think the current plan is another 4x10 and a Terror Bass, for now. Thats a lighter amp for when we are space saving, and a cab that can cover most gigs and be added to my 4x10 for a modular 8x10.[/quote]

If it was me, I'd go with the Terror Bass and 2 SP212s.
From my experience, at least, I love the sound of 12s more than anything else and the prospect of a modular 4X12 rig that you could pretty much carry in one go is the stuff of dreams!
Each to their own of course :)

Good luck dude and congrats on the endorsement!

Eude

Good news on the tour and orange involvement, be sure to post the gig locations and dates

Not a very technical thought but, personally to play through a 810 orange on a big stage is one of those things to do before you die, i loved my 410 but it was to heavy

Im pretty lucky. I moved home after a poor attempt with bands in Newcastle (love the place, but found all but one band were time wasters....although next time I move back up Ill have a different approach) and to wait for my legal contract to start.

The band wanted me back, and if im honest, the current bassist moving to guitar is a much better place for him. I know all the lines (almost) and they know I record well and put in a lot of effort. Happy days....hopefully!

I now have a year and a half of touring, work temp jobs, and basically trying to go on as many trips abroad as I can before my real career starts.

AD200b is 4 ohms minimum, so I need two haha.