Why become a member? ×

Aguilar db212: keeping the sound but losing the weight....

gillento

Hi,

Let me start by saying I really love mydb212 sound.
I am using 3 different heads: Sadowsky SA200, Hartke LH-500 and the Markbass SA450... and I have a GB Streamliner 600 coming in.
I like all my amps thru the db212!!!

BUT..... I am suffering from the 2nd hernia in 3 years

So I though, the AE212 might be an option to reduce weight, but keep a great sound.

I am not sure if two Aguilar SL112s might be an option as they are/will be criminally expensive over here in Europe: 875€ for a single SL112" versus 990€ for the AE212.

What about the GB NEOX-212T?

Posters on talkbass suggested the BareFaced Super twelve.

What do you think?

Edited by gillento

Shame about the BD212.

I'd be inclined to do 2 DB112 as a close match but not a cheap way to do it unless you can get 2 for £600 SH..which is not easy.
If I saw them for that money, I'd be buying as well.
The AE212 sounds interesting but too new for SH prices.

I think 2 40lbs/20 kgs lifts is acceptable and that would be ceramics. Neo would be a better weight save, possibly.

Don't know about GB Neo's

but 12's from Epi, EBS etc should be on the right lines, IMO, maybe.

My Genz Benz NEOX 212-T is the business (with my TC RH450) - I nowhere near its headroom. It's still a bit bulky to fit in the car, but light enough to lift in easily and the wheels make it easy to whizz around.

Did pick up an Aguilar GS112 the other week to give me a smaller option if I need it. But it's nearly as heavy as the NEOX 212-T! The sound's good, but has got nowhere near the bottom end of the NEOX 212-T. Always wondered about getting 2 separate 12" cabs instead of the 212-T. Would love to hear what 2 GS112s sound like, as everyone says they're great. If they were and were lighter, they'd be a fab option. Unfortunately, they're simply the weight they are. So I'd definitely recommend trying the NEOX 212-T.

Always happy to give a demo if you're nearby in Herts!

[quote name='Alec' post='1130742' date='Feb 17 2011, 12:12 PM']My Genz Benz NEOX 212-T is the business (with my TC RH450) - I nowhere near its headroom. It's still a bit bulky to fit in the car, but light enough to lift in easily and the wheels make it easy to whizz around.

Did pick up an Aguilar GS112 the other week to give me a smaller option if I need it. But it's nearly as heavy as the NEOX 212-T! The sound's good, but has got nowhere near the bottom end of the NEOX 212-T. Always wondered about getting 2 separate 12" cabs instead of the 212-T. Would love to hear what 2 GS112s sound like, as everyone says they're great. If they were and were lighter, they'd be a fab option. Unfortunately, they're simply the weight they are. So I'd definitely recommend trying the NEOX 212-T.

Always happy to give a demo if you're nearby in Herts![/quote]

Well, I live in Luxembourg, so I have to pass on your offer:)

As for the GS112, they do even sound better (more mids, so somewhere between the stock gs an the db) with DeltaLites 2512 Series2 than with the stock speakers ( and are way lighter!).
I have no idea how the dbs will sound with DeltaLites. I suppose that would be too much mids....

Edited by gillento

Id think about possibly keeping it, and using the DB112 (if you still have it) for smaller gigs.

I sold my DB212s (8 ohm) and missed it straight away so went for another DB212 (4ohm).

If I had more space and needed it, id audition the Genz Neo X 212T before anything else as a lightweight option. Fair price, well respected, covers are cheap, and great customer service.

I would definitely love a DB212, but my compromise would be the 2xDB112 for carry and space.

2 GS112's do indeed sound SOOO much better than the single, IMO. In fact, I'd go as far to say I probably wouldn't recommend
a single GS112, but 2 cater for my loud band and really fill out the bottom end should you want it to.

The thing is, most decent 2x12s (the neo kind) are around 52-55lbs+. With the Berg, you lose the 'casters' option so its a dead lift. The Neo X 212T is 52lbs, and has the tilt back wheels, which does help.

The DB212 is 70lbs. Its no lightweight cabinet, but I imagine the sound it produces is associated with the box size and the wood its made from.

The difference of 52lbs-70lbs might seem like a lot, but its not a huge huge amount, especially when you factor in casters, handle placement, etc. Some neo cabinets, like the Genz Uber 212, (which I have heard excellent reports about) are almost the same weight (63lbs), but they have a larger box than the other neo cabs, and more ommph I guess.

Its a game of give and take.

My AE112's don't sound anything like my old GS112's so I would think that the AE212 won't sound anything like your DB212.

If Aguilar had neo cabs 3 years ago I'd still be using them but now I've made the move to Bergantino I won't be going back! All your amps will sound great through an AE212 or 2 AE112's.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1130850' date='Feb 17 2011, 12:18 PM']The thing is, most decent 2x12s (the neo kind) are around 52-55lbs+. With the Berg, you lose the 'casters' option so its a dead lift. The Neo X 212T is 52lbs, and has the tilt back wheels, which does help.

The DB212 is 70lbs. Its no lightweight cabinet, but I imagine the sound it produces is associated with the box size and the wood its made from.

The difference of 52lbs-70lbs might seem like a lot, but its not a huge huge amount, especially when you factor in casters, handle placement, etc. Some neo cabinets, like the Genz Uber 212, (which I have heard excellent reports about) are almost the same weight (63lbs), but they have a larger box than the other neo cabs, and more ommph I guess.

Its a game of give and take.[/quote]

Good points, G... I like the idea of tilt back and casters on these min stacks.
Seriously thinking about getting a SWR 6x10 that crop up here from time to time...although I have never needed it so far.

But I have a few festival stages this years, so..???

uh oh..I feel GAS a'coming..!!! :)

I'll catch up:

I have a single db112 as well.

I used to play two GS112 stock and later with DeltaLites.
Everyone right about the change in mid content and definition with 2 GS112 vs a single one.
The Deltas increased definition and therefore I could lower the output volume on the amps.

I don't question the necessity of the db212's weight..
I don't question that the AE112 and 212 won't sound great, either. But I am wondering if it is the sound I am going for.

I learned the expensive way, that "good sounding" gear or expensive gear, isn't necessarily the right gear for my sound.
I've bought and sold a Mywatt100 & 200, a Sadowsky SA410 cab, a Sadowsky M24-5 bass, etc.....
They were all great pieces of gear, but did not necessarily adress my "needs"

Back to on topic:

What about Hartke HX112's?

Edited by gillento

• 2 weeks later...

Ihave listened to the GB Streamliner/AE212 sound clip at talkbass.com, as I have a Streamliner coming in (hopefully) tomorrow.

That sound too smooth for what I am looking for right now.

Does anyone have experience with the new Aguilar SL112 vs db112?

[quote name='gillento' post='1147132' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:15 PM']Ihave listened to the GB Streamliner/AE212 sound clip at talkbass.com, as I have a Streamliner coming in (hopefully) tomorrow.

That sound too smooth for what I am looking for right now.

Does anyone have experience with the new Aguilar SL112 vs db112?
__________________[/quote]

Not as yet. Tough call this one.

I suggest the Neo X 212T from Genz....I think that will have what you are looking for plus now they come in a more modern finish.

• 8 months later...

[size=4]I've made several tentative stabs at a 212 lately but, because of my bad back, I keep coming back to the weight issue. As long as 2 112's sound as good as 1 212, and I think most of them do, then it's the best way to go. [/size]

[size=4]If you need any more, and I'm looking at this as well, get a 2 ohm amp and another 112 cab. 3 112 cabs should cover all possible playing situations.[/size]

Edited by chris_b

I went the other way and have 2xDB210's. still 60lbs though..!!!

This is fantastic for me...and highlights what I miss in 2xGS112.
I went looking at SL112 the other day but couldn't find them.
I tried the SL410 which is light...but still a lift, and so I am still looking for a
pr of 12's with a harder edge.

The SL410 has nothing if anything over the 2xDB210, IMV through a limited blast in a shop.

Just to add to the thread......A pair of Barefaced Midgets? They are fitted with superior drivers to every other cabinet mentioned in this thread and well priced for what they offer. Smaller, louder and lighter too.

I don't own a pair, I just own one. (which I use on its own, or with my Compact.for bigger gigs) But I think a pair must be great option for someone looking for a lightweight solution.

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1321222565' post='1436761']
Just to add to the thread......A pair of Barefaced Midgets? They are fitted with superior drivers to every other cabinet mentioned in this thread and well priced for what they offer. Smaller, louder and lighter too.

I don't own a pair, I just own one. (which I use on its own, or with my Compact.for bigger gigs) But I think a pair must be great option for someone looking for a lightweight solution.

Frank.
[/quote]

+1 try these, if you don't like the after a month you can get your money back.. it's a win win senario

Either 2 midgets which are ultra light or the super 12

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1321205721' post='1436443']
I've got a pair of SL 112's on loan at the moment. Cannot believe how light they are!

Haven't had much time to really listen to them at any sort of volume yet though.
[/quote]

Be interested to see how you think the dinky 12s stack up against the DB12s. :)

Haven't been able to try the SL's up against a live drummer yet but I really like them paired with the TH500 head.

I found them a bit brighter & more agressive than the DB's with the TF550 - In fact too clear & precise for my liking :)

However, with the TH500 they seem to work really well with plenty of punch and growl up to pretty high volumes.

I heard a top funk player using the TH500 + 2xSL's the other week & he sounded amazing through them. That, combined with the super light weight convinced me to shell out for a pair :)

The weight is just astonishing, feels like an empty cab!

For reference - they aren't that dinky in size, maybe a little smaller than the DB's but not much & certainly larger than my old Berg cabs (although they are lighter than the Bergs as well).