Why become a member? ×

P-bass, which pickup?

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1140978' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:15 AM']what sound were you describing? :)

I'm buying a DiMarzio DP127 for one of teh basses, because it seems like a nice beast. It won't be P-bass like, not too much, but I also considered do an "Ou7shined" of sorts, and put a 'Ray type pickguard with an MM pickup... so P-bass tone is not the objective there.

The third one, however... will be the one with flats (Chromes arrived today, will try at the weekend) and I haven't decided which pickup will go there. I might just leave it stock, but ideally I'd like something with a bit more mids to make the flats, with the tone control rolled down "a bit", sound a bit more punchy. That's the one where I thought Thumpers might be good, based on other people's comments.[/quote]

It's always hard ( for me ) to describe a sound but I wanted something with lots of low end but still remaining clear, not mushy.
I'm finding that with my normal P bass EQ, I'm having to back the treble off quite a bit with the Thumper and also set the tone on the bass more towards the bass side. These things really work a 4x10 and tweeter hard. I've now got a P bass with extremes of variation in tones and somewhere in the middle sounds just fine. Nice to have a lot of variation for a change.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1131631' date='Feb 17 2011, 10:21 PM']For a traditional P-Bass sound but with a tad more growl and clarity, the Lindy Fralin pickups are top notch (although you'll have to get em from the US).[/quote]

Agreed.

Best P pup ive ever used but also the dearest. Almost 2 1/2 times the cost of my Thumper.

As an alternative to trying lots of different pickups, had you considered fitting a John East P-Retro and getting lots of different P-bass sounds from one pickup?

It's worth bearing in mind that the P-Retro is a non-intrusive fit & equally easy remove, so you can take it from bass to bass without damage to the bass or its resale value.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='1133867' date='Feb 19 2011, 11:05 PM']+1 for Andy @ Wizard and the 'Thumpers'. Fantastic for the money, and great customer service when I dealt with him recently.[/quote]

I'll go along with that.

Love the Thumper in my P. Good choice without spending a lot of wedge.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1141145' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:01 PM']As an alternative to trying lots of different pickups, had you considered fitting a John East P-Retro and getting lots of different P-bass sounds from one pickup?

It's worth bearing in mind that the P-Retro is a non-intrusive fit & equally easy remove, so you can take it from bass to bass without damage to the bass or its resale value.[/quote]

I'm a bit of a John East enthusiast (Stingray & Jazz versions already working for me) :)
So P-retro is definitely something in my mind. But at some later time. I still want a source sound closer to what I am after. A good preamp does great things, but it does even greater things if you start with a good sound.

I haven't tried the whole range of pups but upgraded the stock split coil p-style pickup in my Washburn Scavenger with a Kent Armstrong one and am really pleased with the improved tone. Plus I have fitted a P-retro, which does even more incredible things to it, but the improvement on passive is noticeable. The bonus is that they are £30, too.

• 9 years later...
On 17/02/2011 at 19:12, KiOgon said:

I've just fitted a DiMarzio DP127 in my '57 AV & to me it's the mutz nutz! It looks as good as it sounds & as said above ^ it's equivalent to many a active bass in output. The bars instead of pole pieces are very neat & part of the reason for wanting to change - the raised poles on the A string '57 original were a bit of a pain sometimes.

My Frank Bello has got Seymour Duncans, both P & J 1/4 lbs - the DiMarzio is clearer, crystal on every note, open string + harmonics ring like a bell, all with no background noise. I've also got SD 1/4lb in my MIM P & my '51 P, so they're my benchmark.

Do you want a pick up that costs more than the bass though!

It's one of those days when I end up searching something and becoming a zombie-thread resurrector :D

It's been 9 years since I started this thread, and I decided to write a little update.

I had 3 Sue Ryder Precisions when I started this thread in 2011. One to leave as a normal P, one to make fretless, and another for a heavy modification project. Fast forward to 2020, where are we?

The normal P ended up with a Wizard Thumper, flats for a bit, then roundwounds. It was a revelation, and this little bass turned me from a "ugh, Precision" into a "ooh, lovely Precision" kind of guy. I sold it years ago, and I have owned various other Precisions since. The beginning of a new era. 

The project... I never assembled it, and didn't even finish stripping the body (hard work!!!) and I sold it as a bunch of parts.

The fretless, however... I still have it and I love it. I bought a 70s style maple board Japanese Fender Precision, but I preferred the Sue Ryder, so out of 4 fretless basses, this is the only one I've kept. With a Model P and D'Addario black nylon tapewounds. It sounds great.

Now, I'm about to change the pickup on my reverse-P Maruszczyk Jake. I've put a John East MMSR preamp and the original pickup will go (big poles Delano of some sort, I forget the exact model), as I never loved it, it felt a little too... clear, 'hi-fi', hard to describe. So I am about to put another model P on this one (it'll have black nylon tapes on it too). The Model P is such a great pickup! I'm considering trying a DP127 here, because it would look great, but I know the Model P would suit me well sound-wise... Do I risk it and see what the DP127 is like on this bass? Hmmm...