Why become a member? ×

I wanted to expand on my bass heroes thread......

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='ARGH' post='129906' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:48 AM']What can I say..its simple

Deal with it by doing something about it.

I am.[/quote]

I totally agree!

[quote name='ARGH' post='130484' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:02 AM']If you want stuff to change,or sound new or different,use something different.

There IS only so much you can do with a standard 4 string Bass,and all thats been done before. Frankly its dull.[/quote]

I totally disagree! But whatever you do play, get on with making music and being your own bass hero! :)

Alex

Daltry is right about needing another Pistols... not necessarily the band [i]per se[/i], but the whole ethos of the band, of the punk idea... the rebellion against the bullshit music had become before it, the endless manufactured pea-soup disco nonsense. Tina Charles' "I Love To Love" anybody? Now tell me that's not a million miles from Umberella-ella-fcking ella. For Boney M, read Girls Aloud.
The industry need the same punk shake up, something to inspire not just a few people but the masses, something to make the greater music buying public wake up, smell the vinyl, and realise that music is stagnant and will just get worse without a radical change in approach. Until the people buying the music realise this and embrace this change of approach, the industry heirarchy will keep churning out the same old bollocks and pop really will eat itself.

[quote name='Jase' post='130464' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:31 AM']Good points, I don't think you have to grow up with something to be inspired though :)[/quote]
Too right. The latest person I saw and was blown away with was Hadrien Feraud. Not a "bass hero" in the sense of this thread, but I was watching a 24 year old who made everything look and sound so effortless. He's the first bassist in many a year that's seriously made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And being 41, I think I've "grown up" :huh: .... or have I? ;)

[quote name='Jase' post='130392' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:01 AM']With all due respect to bassbloke, I can't get into it when legends reform but they all seem to be doing it lately, I don't see what the big attraction is.

The modern bass players listed in bassblokes post are without a doubt brilliant but what I'd like to see or hear is bass players doing something utterly unique, doesn't have to be technically mind blowing, doesn't have to sound perfect just some truth and personality in their playing.[/quote]

So you don't think that any of the acts I've listed are in any way unique?

I mentioned Tim Commerford more because interviews during his stint in Audioslave were quite unique. Here was someone that was incredibly particular about his tone.

I think it's lame when bands reform for the money, but the point I was making is that Sting, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, Mike Rutherford, etc... are/were bass heroes for a huge number of people and that they're still playing live, still being interviewed and, therefore, still relevant.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='130538' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:22 AM']Too right. The latest person I saw and was blown away with was Hadrien Feraud. Not a "bass hero" in the sense of this thread, but I was watching a 24 year old who made everything look and sound so effortless. He's the first bassist in many a year that's seriously made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And being 41, I think I've "grown up" :) .... or have I? ;)[/quote]

Yep he's a mad, mad player ;)

With all due respect to ARGH and the 9 string he's using ( insane instrument by the way, I mean that in a good way you understand :huh: ) I reckon some 4 string player will come along.....one day ( hopefully soon) and give us all something to think about.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='130548' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:30 AM']So you don't think that any of the acts I've listed are in any way unique?

I mentioned Tim Commerford more because interviews during his stint in Audioslave were quite unique. Here was someone that was incredibly particular about his tone.

I think it's lame when bands reform for the money, but the point I was making is that Sting, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, Mike Rutherford, etc... are/were bass heroes for a huge number of people and that they're still playing live, still being interviewed and, therefore, still relevant.[/quote]

No I don't think any of them are unique at all, incredible players, yes but not unique.

I agree with you, the legends you listed are still relevant without a doubt but when you hear their approach you can hear a unique personal statement or tone which for me is lacking in most players today, everybody seems to be amazingly accomplished, which is great but one slap/active tone and one fast picking/tapping tone sounds the same to me.

A very rough version of a new song I introduced to the band last night (the drummer was running late, as ever) - need to get the lyrics and vocals added, obviously:

[url="http://www.thehumanzoo.com/alex/Rehearsal%20Recordings/Malcolm's%20Theme%2029jan08.mp3"]http://www.thehumanzoo.com/alex/Rehearsal%...e%2029jan08.mp3[/url]

I'm doing some atypical things on this but is it unique? I doubt it - is anything unique?!

Do true bass heroes do something amazing with the instrument or with the music? I suspect the latter - that's what gets you excited about them, because the songs move you. Jaco and Jimi would have never had their impact if their amazing skill with the instrument hadn't translated into amazing music.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='130583' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:24 PM']A very rough version of a new song I introduced to the band last night (the drummer was running late, as ever) - need to get the lyrics and vocals added, obviously:

[url="http://www.thehumanzoo.com/alex/Rehearsal%20Recordings/Malcolm's%20Theme%2029jan08.mp3"]http://www.thehumanzoo.com/alex/Rehearsal%...e%2029jan08.mp3[/url]

I'm doing some atypical things on this but is it unique? I doubt it - is anything unique?!

Do true bass heroes do something amazing with the instrument or with the music? I suspect the latter - that's what gets you excited about them, because the songs move you. Jaco and Jimi would have never had their impact if their amazing skill with the instrument hadn't translated into amazing music.

Alex[/quote]

I was enjoying that, like you say, using skill and translating it into music. The level of skill today though is more advanced than Jimi or Jaco, it's like technical ability has improved no end but being a musician hasn't.

I've heard of your band before somewhere, can't remember where though.

[quote name='Rich' post='130520' date='Jan 30 2008, 11:03 AM']Daltry is right about needing another Pistols... not necessarily the band [i]per se[/i], but the whole ethos of the band, of the punk idea... the rebellion against the bullshit music had become before it, the endless manufactured pea-soup disco nonsense. Tina Charles' "I Love To Love" anybody? Now tell me that's not a million miles from Umberella-ella-fcking ella. For Boney M, read Girls Aloud.
The industry need the same punk shake up, something to inspire not just a few people but the masses, something to make the greater music buying public wake up, smell the vinyl, and realise that music is stagnant and will just get worse without a radical change in approach. Until the people buying the music realise this and embrace this change of approach, the industry heirarchy will keep churning out the same old bollocks and pop really will eat itself.[/quote]

My Point exactly....sadly I think there is such a strict control of music that it wouldn't be allowed to happen.

having said that, there are so may forms of media outlets these days...maybe it could?......quite what form any sort of musical shake up would take, I don't know. Look at those arses 'The Towers Of London' trying to be the Sex Pistols but looking more like Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

[quote name='Jase' post='130593' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:39 PM']I was enjoying that, like you say, using skill and translating it into music. The level of skill today though is more advanced than Jimi or Jaco, it's like technical ability has improved no end but being a musician hasn't.

I've heard of your band before somewhere, can't remember where though.[/quote]

I don't hear anything unique from Bass Players anymore...just plodders.

You listen to Bruce Foxton, Andy Rourke, Mick Karn, Percy Jones, Hooky, Bernard Edwards, Pino (you get me drift)....you'd buy an album just to hear what they are doing.

Nobody is standing out from the crowd.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='130616' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:56 PM']I don't hear anything unique from Bass Players anymore...just plodders.

You listen to Bruce Foxton, Andy Rourke, Mick Karn, Percy Jones, Hooky, Bernard Edwards, Pino (you get me drift)....you'd buy an album just to hear what they are doing.

Nobody is standing out from the crowd.[/quote]

Yep!!....... I think plodding or chunking along is good though when needed :) but you're right I wouldn't rush out today, buy a "new band" album because of the bass player.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='130454' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:12 AM']to be honest i think your just being a bit grumpy and old. I think you just like old music better so no matter how good something new sounds, you just won't want to listen to it.[/quote]

:)

As I said on the previous thread, just because it's not handed to you on a plate doesn't mean it's not out there. I find I'm still as excited about new music as I was 10 years ago, there's so many new bands and albums out there that I find inspiring regarding both songs and bass playing.