Why become a member? ×

Hard or soft?

chilievans

When I play suppose I have a medium to hard right hand technique but recently I've been thinking that if I use a gentler touch I'll be able to play with a lower action and therefore play faster and smoother.
Am I right in my thinking or am I just talking nonsense again and need to practice more on my speed :)

Edited by chilievans

You're not talking nonsense. If you play lighter you can increase both your speed and your stamina as you
are using less energy.
I play pretty hard with my right hand,but if I have to play fast for long,I have no choice but to lighten up.

I have always played light and often suffered for it with output and chasing sounds.

Now I have basses and an amp with headroom I find it a real plus as I save my hands, don't break strings unless they are defective..IMO..
and there is so much variation I can get from the touch.

Whether it is faster, I am not sure, but it is less tiring.

When playing metal riffs I play very hard and achieve a tone somewhere in between a slap and a plectrum. If soloing, tapping, playing fills or doing legato and slides, or playing high up the neck, I use a slightly lighter touch in order to get less buzz, play faster cleaner, and to get less of a 'clank' when it isn't wanted. This does necessitate the use of compression though! But it works for me :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The real point is you need to have dynamics in your playing... there is little point saying that you just play hard or soft. Perhaps if you're permanently digging in then it would be worth lightening up a bit so as you can accent notes or passages when you need to.

Importantly it is worth remembering that even though its an electric instrument the bass has acoustic properties... so when you dig in you actually change your tone slightly. Therefore a control of your right hand is really important as this change in tone sounds great when you're accenting but not great in a softer passage. Variety is the key.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1298328785' post='1136476']
And if you play lighter it always gives the option of digging in for effect.
[/quote]

What ET says and has been mentioned by some others. Surely its about having both a light touch and the ability to dig in when needed? (or hard and really hard! :P ).
Different tools for different jobs.