Why become a member? ×

Slide query

daz

I sometimes see a slide symbol in notation and in tabs, where for instance a sequence of notes in a bar might be something such as C E E A with the slide on the A note. (see pic below) My question is; If the note before the slide is on a different string how on earth is one supposed to slide up to it?

[attachment=72957:SLIDE_QUERY.jpg]

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1137181' date='Feb 22 2011, 03:17 PM']I sometimes see a slide symbol in notation and in tabs, where for instance a sequence of notes in a bar might be something such as C E E A with the slide on the A note. (see pic below) My question is; If the note before the slide is on a different string how on earth is one supposed to slide up to it?

[attachment=72957:SLIDE_QUERY.jpg][/quote]
In that example I would play:

---------------------------
-------2--2---------------
---3-----------------------
---------------/5-----------

Using middle finger for the C, first finger for the E, and then slide from G# to A using little finger.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1137262' date='Feb 22 2011, 04:20 PM']In that example I would play:

---------------------------
-------2--2---------------
---3-----------------------
---------------/5-----------

Using middle finger for the C, first finger for the E, and then slide from G# to A using little finger.[/quote]

Yup. WHen something is written with a slide, it will usually fall under the fingers quite naturally, especially if its TAB as that tends to come after the performance. Occasionally, it may require a moment's thought and a change in your choice of fingering for the whole passage, not just the slurred note. This can be particularly important on complex passages as the wrong fingering may render it unplayable whereas the right fingering will make soimething that looks hard relatively easy to execute.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1137262' date='Feb 22 2011, 04:20 PM']Using middle finger for the C, first finger for the E, and then slide from G# to A using little finger.[/quote]

This.

You don't want it to sound like a grace note though.Where you slide from is pretty irrelevant,but sliding from
a semitone below is usually more than adequate. If a bigger slide is required it will usually be marked.