Why become a member? ×

Need a Motown-y/soul-y kind of amp. Any suggestions?

Truckstop

Of course a B15 Ampeg fliptop or the Kustom with 15" speakers like the man himself is the answer (having put flats on the P and 3/4 of tone rolled off) but if you can remove looks and prejudgements for a mo, I play in a Motown tribute act and we have taken as much trouble as poss for authentic sounds.

Along with the P + flats I use my Hartke 3500 and their 2.5XL. Unfashionable, looks wrong and ally speakers shouldn't be the thing but it sounds superb in this role and has attracted quite a few comments (shame they weren't about my playing!) warm and deep.

Cost a fraction of that original equipment - which I would love! - but, believe me, flat settings apart from a bit of a lift on the 'low pass' misnomer and it works. Way more power than the originals too.

After looking a lot of vintage styled gear over the last few days, I think I'm just gonna go for a 1x15 cab and leave the head on the floor behind it. I can a great sound out of the GK so I don't really want to have to buy another amp when all I need to do is get a cab that looks vintage. Ashdown look good. Or maybe if I can get a second hand Aguilar.

Thanks for all your help everybody!

Alex