Why become a member? ×

Converting a P bass to active.

matski

Basically I'm looking to tweak my '57 RI P bass by fitting an active circuit.

I'd like something that involves the minimum of electronics knowhow (as I have none) and doesn't require any woodworking skills (same again) - so preferably something that just drops in place simply in a typical 2 knob P bass configuration and is also easily removed to return the bass to stock configuration if desired.

I'd also like to retain the original tone characteristics of the bass, so ideally something that allows me to switch between active and passive.

Following a quick scan through previous threads, I'm seeing a lot of positivity about the John East P-Retro set-up. Is this the best option? Any other recommended alternatives?

Any words or wisdom gratefully received. :)

I imagine you'll be inundated by endorsees of the P-Retro. It ticks all your boxes. I fitted one to a Washburn Scavenger and it has brought it alive - I never thought it would be possible to get such a huge range of useable tones from such a simple single split coil pickup. Plus you can get back to passive and everything you had before at the pull of a switch. I don't suppose it is the cheapest option but, from my limited experience, it is worth every penny.

Take a look under your scratchplate before you order the circuit and see how much space you have under there before you start ordering parts.

I had a hell of a job fitting a Seymour Duncan STC-2B board and 9v battery in my JBass - I have had a loathing of routers ever since I gave one of my fingers a decorative scroll edge and what started out as a poorly conceived plan turned into a woodworking nightmare... :)