Why become a member? ×

Sorted! (Beginner double bass dvd's)

i've just bought a double bass :) but now i need to learn to play it properly before i damage myself! kinda hard cuz i can't keep my hands off it but i'm thinking some beginner dvd's are the way to go so i get off to a good start and get the absolute basics right

i've seen the 'Essential Techniques For Acoustic Bass' todd phillips dvd's recommended so if anyone is ready to move them on i'm interested or let me know what else you've got/would recommend.

Edited by kingforaday

[quote name='kingforaday' post='1139782' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:48 AM']i've just bought a double bass :) but now i need to learn to play it properly before i damage myself! kinda hard cuz i can't keep my hands off it but i'm thinking some beginner dvd's are the way to go so i get off to a good start and get the absolute basics right

i've seen the 'Essential Techniques For Acoustic Bass' todd phillips dvd's recommended so if anyone is ready to move them on i'm interested or let me know what else you've got/would recommend.[/quote]

There are very good online lessons available(free) that will put you on the right road technique wise. eg
'Andrew Anderson teaches double bass' is worth a look. However you would be better spending some money on lessons from a good teacher. :)

Edited by marvin spangles

[quote name='kingforaday' post='1139782' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:48 AM']i've seen the 'Essential Techniques For Acoustic Bass' todd phillips dvd's recommended so if anyone is ready to move them on i'm interested[/quote]

I have both and am happy to let them go. They are very good for beginners and for the occasional reminder even for experienced players. How's £30 posted for the two?

Chris

Hi mate,
I've gotAn Ed Friedland 'Jazz Upright Bass' DVD that shows the basics and some cool tips.

If you want, I can post it to you for you to watch. Keep it for a month to get the ideas down, and then just post it back to me when you're done with it.

Only costs you a return stamp when you send it back.

Drop me your address if you want me to send it to you?

Kevin

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1141515' date='Feb 25 2011, 05:33 PM']Hi mate,
I've gotAn Ed Friedland 'Jazz Upright Bass' DVD that shows the basics and some cool tips.

If you want, I can post it to you for you to watch. Keep it for a month to get the ideas down, and then just post it back to me when you're done with it.

Only costs you a return stamp when you send it back.

Drop me your address if you want me to send it to you?

Kevin[/quote]

awesome! damn decent of you kevin, PM sent. thanks!

Sounds like you're sorted but for anyone else starting out this one

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Introduction-Upright-Double-Bass-Beginners-DVD-/330477033403?pt=UK_Music_SheetMusic_RL&hash=item4cf1f757bb"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Introduction-Upright...=item4cf1f757bb[/url]

got me out the starting blocks

That's the Ed Friedland DVD posted off to you mate

Kevin

[quote name='kingforaday' post='1139782' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:48 AM']i've just bought a double bass :) but now i need to learn to play it properly before i damage myself! kinda hard cuz i can't keep my hands off it but i'm thinking some beginner dvd's are the way to go so i get off to a good start and get the absolute basics right

i've seen the 'Essential Techniques For Acoustic Bass' todd phillips dvd's recommended so if anyone is ready to move them on i'm interested or let me know what else you've got/would recommend.[/quote]