Why become a member? ×

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection VS Fender P-Lyte?

Paul S

I recently bought an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection and have found it exceptionally comfortable to wear and play. More so than any of my other basses. Strangely, given that the rest of the band rarely notice anything, they all commented on how cool it looks (black with green DR Neons :) - just proves they have eyes, I suppose... ) but also how good it sounds.

I have had slight GAS for a Fender P-Lyte bass for a while now but, on paper at least, they seem to tick many of the same boxes in that they are lightweight, skinny neck, P/J pup configuration, MIJ and decent quality. But the SGC Nanyo cost me probably half what P-Lyte would have. Has anyone owned or played both to give a comparison?

[quote name='Paul S' post='1139962' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:51 PM']I recently bought an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection and have found it exceptionally comfortable to wear and play. More so than any of my other basses. Strangely, given that the rest of the band rarely notice anything, they all commented on how cool it looks (black with green DR Neons :) - just proves they have eyes, I suppose... ) but also how good it sounds.

I have had slight GAS for a Fender P-Lyte bass for a while now but, on paper at least, they seem to tick many of the same boxes in that they are lightweight, skinny neck, P/J pup configuration, MIJ and decent quality. But the SGC Nanyo cost me probably half what P-Lyte would have. Has anyone owned or played both to give a comparison?[/quote]

I own a couple of SGC Nanyos and once borrowed a P Lyte for a period of time. The P Lyte probably wasn't a great example as it had a bad twist in the neck which affected its playability. But I certainly didn't think anything else about it made up for this deficiency compared to the SGCs! Tonally or otherwise. Depending on which Bass Collection you have though, I reckon it would benefit from better electronics. The P/Js on the SB300/310/320 haven't blown me away (though the soapbars on the SB330 are IMO good), also I personally find the pre-amp treble to be set to too high a frequency and it's a bit noisy. But the P Lyte was no better in any of these.

Thanks for that Lawrence - it doesn't surprise me that the P-Lyte isn't much of an improvement - if at all. I am certainly enjoying the Bass Collection a lot.

Just out of curiosity what did you do to upgrade the electrics? Mine is (I think) the B-310, so not the high end of the spectrum.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1140990' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:21 AM']Thanks for that Lawrence - it doesn't surprise me that the P-Lyte isn't much of an improvement - if at all. I am certainly enjoying the Bass Collection a lot.

Just out of curiosity what did you do to upgrade the electrics? Mine is (I think) the B-310, so not the high end of the spectrum.[/quote]

I didn't, I bought a 330 which has the soapbars and an active/passive switch and just run it passive! :) But if I was going to upgrade the 310 I'd go for EMGs and make it growl!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1142905' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:35 PM']I didn't, I bought a 330 which has the soapbars and an active/passive switch and just run it passive! :) But if I was going to upgrade the 310 I'd go for EMGs and make it growl![/quote]

Ta.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1140990' date='Feb 25 2011, 11:21 AM']Just out of curiosity what did you do to upgrade the electrics? Mine is (I think) the B-310, so not the high end of the spectrum.[/quote]

I put an Artec 3-band pre-amp into my SB465, mostly because the blend pot on the old setup wasn't working properly. It's a big improvement on the standard electronics, probably the best budget fix you can do without upgrading the pickups and probably worth doing even if you did a pickup change.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1143174' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:56 AM']I put an Artec 3-band pre-amp into my SB465, mostly because the blend pot on the old setup wasn't working properly. It's a big improvement on the standard electronics, probably the best budget fix you can do without upgrading the pickups and probably worth doing even if you did a pickup change.[/quote]

Thanks Pete. As you say - it doesn't look expensive. At the moment everything seems to work just fine but if I can improve on it for a small outlay then it is tempting.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1143174' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:56 AM']I put an Artec 3-band pre-amp into my SB465, mostly because the blend pot on the old setup wasn't working properly. It's a big improvement on the standard electronics, probably the best budget fix you can do without upgrading the pickups and probably worth doing even if you did a pickup change.[/quote]

+1
I have an SB405 and the SGC pre-amp was pants. The Artec has transformed it.
Funny thing is that whenever I use it I always get comments on how it sounds.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1144273' date='Feb 28 2011, 11:12 AM']Daft question time - is it a straight fit? Presumably it is the model with the stacked knobs?[/quote]

There are no daft questions ...

I had to open out two of the holes with a round file (the ones for the stacked pots). Other than that it was a straight drop-in.

If you wire it up as per the instructions, the blend pot works backwards (clockwise cuts the neck pickup and increases the bridge, anticlockwise cuts the bridge and increases the neck). I found that was a little strange at first but I'm used to it now.

Thanks Pete. If (when?) I do it I'll get my usual tech guy to do all that routy/ wiry stuff. I am a numpty and he doesn't charge much so it gives me peace of mind. More questions - are the stacked knobs great big things or are they reasonable size? Any advantage of the 3 band over the 2 band, do you know (other than the obvious extra control over the mids)? Sorry to be a nuisance but this has caught my interest :)

The stacked knobs are only slightly larger than the original - a couple of mm in diameter and they stand a bit prouder. There's a picture of my bass with the pickup fitted in the 'Show us your DR Neons' thread in the General forum.

Can't comment on the 2-band, never used one.

Gotcha - thanks for that, makes it much clearer. I haven't gigged it as is yet - first time will be on 19th so it will be interesting to see how it sounds then but I can see an upgrade waiting to happen.