Why become a member? ×

6 String necks/string spacing

lyonk

I've been thinking about trying to trade my 5 string for a 6, but it's nearly impossible to try any out around hear to see what I like.

So I was wondering if anyone can suggest 6 strings that have a similar neck size and string spacing to the only one I've been able to get my hands on: an Ibanez SR506.

I play a BTB775 just now, but actually find the 506 a lot more comfortable to play because of the smaller string spacing.
So what other options are there like the SR series that would be a similar value to my BTB?

If I'm not mistaken you'll be after a 34" rather than 35" length (like most 4 stingers, although I could be wrong about this) and 17mm spacing.

The Yamaha TRB series is a damn good weapon of choice with those specs (defo 34" and 17mm). The older Yamaha TRB 1006 comes up on here fairly often (J.R.Bass was selling my old one a while back) and for the £450 odd they fetch they are bloody STUNNING!

Most Ibanez 6 ers have the same spacing etc too.. Warwick 6ers are tight and favour the 34" scale but will set you back considerably more and the neck is waaaaay thicker than the Ibanez you've played.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1141756' date='Feb 25 2011, 08:58 PM']If I'm not mistaken you'll be after a 34" rather than 35" length (like most 4 stingers, although I could be wrong about this) and 17mm spacing.

The Yamaha TRB series is a damn good weapon of choice with those specs (defo 34" and 17mm). The older Yamaha TRB 1006 comes up on here fairly often (J.R.Bass was selling my old one a while back) and for the £450 odd they fetch they are bloody STUNNING!

Most Ibanez 6 ers have the same spacing etc too.. Warwick 6ers are tight and favour the 34" scale but will set you back considerably more and the neck is waaaaay thicker than the Ibanez you've played.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd love a Warwick, but yeah, I don't think my hands or bank account would get along with them.

Also worth checking out the Schecter Stiletto diamon series stuff. The build quality is absolutely top notch and string spacing too tight for me (So prob perfect for you). It's one of those basses that proves the brand adds lots of value. If you didn't know who made it, they could easily pass for £1.5k instruments

[url="http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Schecter_Stiletto_Studio_6_Honey_Satin_6-String_Electric_Bass_Guitar.html"]http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog...ass_Guitar.html[/url]

I've seen a few come up 2nd hand and usually around £300ish. Worth checking eBay etc

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1141756' date='Feb 25 2011, 12:58 PM']If I'm not mistaken you'll be after a 34" rather than 35" length (like most 4 stingers, although I could be wrong about this) and 17mm spacing.[/quote]
When Ibanez used to list bridge spacing they had this listed as 16.5mm, a small difference. The BTB series is wider than the SR. Tobias 6 strings use 34" & 16.5mm, not MTD's but the old Basic, Classic, and Signature models.

It seems 34" & 16.5mm was more popular in the 1990's than today.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1141756' date='Feb 25 2011, 08:58 PM']If I'm not mistaken you'll be after a 34" rather than 35" length (like most 4 stingers, although I could be wrong about this) and 17mm spacing.

Most Ibanez 6 ers have the same spacing etc too.. Warwick 6ers are tight and favour the 34" scale but will set you back considerably more and the neck is waaaaay thicker than the Ibanez you've played.[/quote]

The TRBs are 35" scale, can't comment on the String spacing not played a TRB-6er unless you mean older ones?

I am currently saving for a TRB 1006J though!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1142510' date='Feb 26 2011, 05:01 PM']My TRB 1006 (which I believe are now out of production) was a 34". I assume therefore they moved to 35" scale with the current range due to that being the trend with basses having a low B.[/quote]

TRB 1006 is still on the site, but i'm sure they have been replaced with the TRB1000J series, which have a 5 peice neck i think is the difference as well as a few updates

What year as your TRB from, well roughly as you don't own it any more? Before 2005 i'd say they were probably 34" not sure though! If the string spacing IS 17mm then Yamaha has AGAIN made my dream bass haha!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

My Yammy was an early 2000's, prob 2003ish, its was 17.5mm according to my callipers at the time, which was identical to my 5 string Warwick thumb. Both were the same scale length as well. My TRB went to J.R.Bass who i think ebay'd it away from Basschat.

It was just too tight for me and I couldn't get used to 34" again.

I strictly play 35" scale, 18.5-19mm spacing, bolt-on necks. All 3 of my instruments have that same spec and transition between them is easy... For me of course :)

Edit - And here it is - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=57329&view=findpost&p=838054"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=838054[/url]

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1142781' date='Feb 26 2011, 08:16 PM']My Yammy was an early 2000's, prob 2003ish, its was 17.5mm according to my callipers at the time, which was identical to my 5 string Warwick thumb. Both were the same scale length as well. My TRB went to J.R.Bass who i think ebay'd it away from Basschat.

It was just too tight for me and I couldn't get used to 34" again.

I strictly play 35" scale, 18.5-19mm spacing, bolt-on necks. All 3 of my instruments have that same spec and transition between them is easy... For me of course :)

Edit - And here it is - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=57329&view=findpost&p=838054"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=838054[/url][/quote]

Thanks man!

17mm/17.5 is perfect for me, not too wide a neck, and wide enough to let you dig in! (Plus i have slightly girly hands! in a non sexist way?)

I think i'm just used too 35" scale now, though i'd need to test a compare in more depth!

You have good taste my man :)

You tried a newer TRB? You should play one if you can, maybe closer to your specs now!

I've been playing 6 string basses for about 5 years.

I strongly advise you to try as many as you can. Don't just take other peoples recommendations, you need to try them for yourself.

What works for you on a 5 string, won't necessarily work for you on a 6 string.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1146012' date='Mar 1 2011, 04:36 PM']I've been playing 6 string basses for about 5 years.

I strongly advise you to try as many as you can. Don't just take other peoples recommendations, you need to try them for yourself.

What works for you on a 5 string, won't necessarily work for you on a 6 string.[/quote]

I understand that. The problem is that in the last year, there has been ONE six string that I've found between Stirling, Glasgow and Edinburgh and it took months to show up.

It was an Ibanez SR506, which I actually found a lot nicer to play than my five string.

There seems to be a lot more 8 string guitars around here than 6 string basses :)

[quote name='lyonk' post='1146184' date='Mar 1 2011, 06:16 PM']I understand that. The problem is that in the last year, there has been ONE six string that I've found between Stirling, Glasgow and Edinburgh and it took months to show up.

It was an Ibanez SR506, which I actually found a lot nicer to play than my five string.

There seems to be a lot more 8 string guitars around here than 6 string basses :)[/quote]

It's odd, but I find a 6 nicer to play than a 5.

[quote name='lyonk' post='1144988' date='Feb 28 2011, 09:04 PM']Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to look out for a used TRB or Ibanez 706. How do Ibanez's numbers go for 6 strings? I think the 706 should be the equivalent model to my BTB, but their system confuses me.[/quote]

Where are you looking to buy from?

Last i knew The SR706 wasn't avalible in Europe...

I play a BTB676 and LOVE it BUT i know many many who have tried it (a good few of them strictly 6+ string players) who hated it! SO liek said, try as many AS you can, here in scotland though basses are much rarer!