Why become a member? ×

If anyone is thinking of re-finishing their basses in checkerboard...

StevieD_FenderP2009

Well, i've got about a 3rd of the edging to go but the amount you have to think to try and get everything to match up or just to look right is unbelievable. It ends up hurting your head. I've just had to stop for 10 minutes to give my head a rest.

Thing is, it hasn't even gone to be white coated yet. I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about it because I'm worried there will be bleed under the tape in which case I then have to either sit there with a very fine paint brush correcting the bleed or I have to back mask it and do the black work again.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks fantastic at the minute and I can't wait until I get it finished but I'm never going to do such an intricate design again. I've got my next couple of customs planned out and I know they won't be half as hard or time consuming as this.
Think I'm going to go and get on to sanding down the neck for a while and get that prepared for when I get the new logo done for it

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1142498' date='Feb 26 2011, 04:51 PM']Well, i've got about a 3rd of the edging to go but the amount you have to think to try and get everything to match up or just to look right is unbelievable. It ends up hurting your head. I've just had to stop for 10 minutes to give my head a rest.

Thing is, it hasn't even gone to be white coated yet. I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about it because I'm worried there will be bleed under the tape in which case I then have to either sit there with a very fine paint brush correcting the bleed or I have to back mask it and do the black work again.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks fantastic at the minute and I can't wait until I get it finished but I'm never going to do such an intricate design again. I've got my next couple of customs planned out and I know they won't be half as hard or time consuming as this.
Think I'm going to go and get on to sanding down the neck for a while and get that prepared for when I get the new logo done for it[/quote]

First time I did it I was a little ambitious about the size of the squares, after that they got bigger.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1142871' date='Feb 26 2011, 10:46 PM']Mae sure and use really good masking tape.Tamiya gets my vote.[/quote]

Yup. Also, depending on the feasibility with a particular design spray the colour you want as a background first once the tape's in place, then the top colour. The first colour plugs the gaps and helps keep the edge lines clean.

[quote name='matski' post='1144372' date='Feb 28 2011, 12:32 PM']Wouldn't it be easier to get a checkerboard pattern printed on some sticky backed plastic and apply that to your bass?

Plus, if you wanted to sell the bass later, you can remove the plastic film...[/quote]

no common sense here please :)

[quote name='matski' post='1144372' date='Feb 28 2011, 12:32 PM']Wouldn't it be easier to get a checkerboard pattern printed on some sticky backed plastic and apply that to your bass?

Plus, if you wanted to sell the bass later, you can remove the plastic film...[/quote]
Only if you are going to be playing in a 1980s kitchen :) Would you feel good about a bass covered in sticky backed plastic? I wouldn't.

Edited by silddx

Hmmm, it has just occurred to me that it could have been possible to copy the old Fender 'Photofinish' basses. (Or was it Yamaha??) Underneath the glossy clear lacquer top coat wasn't a beautiful bit of flame maple, it was a photograph of said wood placed on to the facings of the bass.

Maybe it'd be possible to do a glossy print of a chequerboard pattern and lacquer over the top of it in the same way?