Why become a member? ×

String / silk problem

alhbass

Hello. Here's a pic of the bridge of my lovely, newly acquired 80s Pbass (thanks 2x18):

As you can see, now that I've put my preferred strings on it (Rotosound Trubass), there's a problem with the silk on the A and E strings sitting on the bridge saddles. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to make these strings sound a little duller than the other two. The saddles are correctly adjusted for action and intonation, so I cant just move them.

Is it ok/advisable to scrape the silk back a bit? Or might that damage the string (they're pretty new, and not cheap!)? Any other ideas welcome...

Thanks.

Edited by alhbass

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1143104' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:40 AM']it will affect the sound quite dramatically. i wouldn't recommend 'scraping' the silk back.....[/quote]
Nah, it wouldn't be wrong to push them back a few mil (in fact it would almost certainly balance them out with the others) - besides, he's using nylon flats.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1143293' date='Feb 27 2011, 01:40 PM']- besides, he's using nylon flats.[/quote]

My Rotosounds are nylon flats! And but the look of the binding, possibly the same brand...

I'm not sure how much it affects the sound really - I mean, I'm far from confident that I'd be able to tell the difference in a controlled experiment. But thanks to everyone for their advice so far. Think I might try out the washer idea before attacking the silk bindings...

[quote name='alhbass' post='1143407' date='Feb 27 2011, 03:24 PM']My Rotosounds are nylon flats! And but the look of the binding, possibly the same brand...

I'm not sure how much it affects the sound really - I mean, I'm far from confident that I'd be able to tell the difference in a controlled experiment. But thanks to everyone for their advice so far. Think I might try out the washer idea before attacking the silk bindings...[/quote]
Herbie Flowers' strings are Roto Trubass like yours and it's said they've been on the bass for thirty years or more.

I doubt whether it makes much diufference at all to sound. However when I had a similar problem I did carefully cut back the silk.

Edited by EssentialTension