Why become a member? ×

Truss rod maxed

niceguyhomer

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1143785' date='Feb 27 2011, 08:20 PM']Just bought a bass for a back up and just doing my boding session with it and noticed the truss rod's maxed out. Is there anything I can do?[/quote]

Once you've hit max then it's pretty much game over.

You could try slackening off the truss rod and retightening it whilst giving the neck a bit of a bend just to make sure the truss rod is moving freely.
The other alternative is to use a lighter set of strings so it doesn't have so much work to do?

A luthier could possibly defret and replane and refret the fingerboard but that's gonna cost a fair bit so I'd be more inclined to buy a replacement neck (assuming that's an option of course).

[quote name='icastle' post='1143828' date='Feb 27 2011, 08:54 PM']Once you've hit max then it's pretty much game over.

You could try slackening off the truss rod and retightening it whilst giving the neck a bit of a bend just to make sure the truss rod is moving freely.
The other alternative is to use a lighter set of strings so it doesn't have so much work to do?

A luthier could possibly defret and replane and refret the fingerboard but that's gonna cost a fair bit so I'd be more inclined to buy a replacement neck (assuming that's an option of course).[/quote]
Or you could try a washer under the adjuster nut. :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1143837' date='Feb 27 2011, 09:00 PM']Yeh I've heard that can work sometimes - can an imbecile do it?[/quote]
Yeah. Slacken the strings right off then unscrew the nut until it comes off, find an appropriate washer (or more if you need it) slip it over the threaded tip then tighten the nut/bolt up again. It doesn't work for all types of TR but it should work on the majority.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1143831' date='Feb 27 2011, 08:57 PM']Or you could try a washer under the adjuster nut. :)[/quote]

Sorry our posts crossed...

There is always that of course... :)

Obviously you have to be sensible with it and not be tempted to use loads of washers though because the truss rod will only take a certain amount of pull on it before it becomes a metal rod flopping about inside a wooden box... :lol:

[quote name='icastle' post='1144011' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:07 PM'][b]Sorry our posts crossed...[/b]

There is always that of course... :)

Obviously you have to be sensible with it and not be tempted to use loads of washers though because the truss rod will only take a certain amount of pull on it before it becomes a metal rod flopping about inside a wooden box... :lol:[/quote]
I know mate I wasn't being a cock, I just thought I'd say my bit again for comedy effect. :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1143785' date='Feb 27 2011, 08:20 PM']Just bought a bass for a back up and just doing my boding session with it and noticed the truss rod's maxed out. Is there anything I can do?[/quote]

This is what I did, Al [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97682"]See this thread![/url]

[quote name='icastle' post='1144039' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:34 PM']Ah...

... have you considered putting a washer under the nut at all? :D[/quote]
:)

[quote name='andyonbass' post='1144113' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:33 AM']This is what I did, Al [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97682"]See this thread![/url][/quote]
Yeah yeah that's all well and good.... but have you tried putting a washer under the nut? :) :lol:

[quote name='JellyKnees' post='1144292' date='Feb 28 2011, 11:29 AM']This happened recently to my handmade KGB headless which they built for me 20 years ago this year...I took it back to into KGB and they basically heated the neck and bent it back to give the correct amount of relief. And they didn't charge me, which was nice...[/quote]
The only thing is you now have to keep it hermetically sealed in temperature controlled environment to prevent the wood from going back the way it naturally wants to. :)