Why become a member? ×

Squier P/Neck Jazz body compatability

Dudgeman

Got a friend looking for a cheap bass for his son..Been offered a fully made up Precision Body and he has found a jazz neck on Ebay..would make a very cheap bass..Anyone know if they fit together as standard items? I know the Jazz neck is much thinner at the nut but don't know how that translates at the body end..

Anyone know if they are compatable?
Thanks

[quote name='Dudgeman' post='1145318' date='Mar 1 2011, 01:39 AM']Got a friend looking for a cheap bass for his son..Been offered a fully made up Precision Body and he has found a jazz neck on Ebay..would make a very cheap bass..Anyone know if they fit together as standard items? I know the Jazz neck is much thinner at the nut but don't know how that translates at the body end..

Anyone know if they are compatable?
Thanks[/quote]

If they're both Squier then yes, they should fit. A standard Jazz neck fits a standard Precision body.

But there are a few qualifications. First, you should be OK if you're using Fender, Squier, or Fender licenced parts (eg Mighty Mite). Other parts, it is worth checking they are built to normal Fender dimensions. I had a non-Fender Strat neck which needed a bit of sanding to fit a standard Squier neck socket.

Second, I'm assuming you're talking about standard P body and J neck. Remember that some of the deluxe models are not standard (eg 24 or 22 fret necks) and 70s reissue Jazz necks are 3 bolt so would require some extra drilling.

But if the neck is a standard Jazz neck you should have no problem.