Why become a member? ×

Polishing out a small suface scrape on a nitro lacquer finish

Clarky

A bit annoyingly, my otherwise perfect condition Alleva-Coppolo picked up a small scuff last night. Was putting it away in Hiscox case when the top decided to flip shut and caught the corner of the bass near the jack plug. Its only a scrape within the thick lacquer finish and not through to wood so its not a biggie but it nevertheless is a bit irritating given the overall condition of the bass (especially as I have been trying to sell it). Is there a quick and easy way to buff/polish out a scrape on nitro. I don't fancy using glass/sand paper as I can see me just making it a great deal worse!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1156269' date='Mar 10 2011, 09:34 AM']If you can feel it with your nail then you will have to sand it back (1000 grade) but the good news is that if you can't feel it with your nail then a cutting compound and a bit of elbow grease should see it off.[/quote]
Unfortunately its the former but its really not deep. Would it be reduced/minimised with a cutting compound as I am not keen on sanding? And which cutting compound would you recommend?

Thanks Ou7shined!

I doubt it will. Compound works on a microscopic level. It may help with some of the opaqueness of the scrape.

Some say to use t-cut, which is fine if that's all you can get. I've never used it myself (except on motorbike tanks) but use a finer product scored from a car bodyshop mate of mine.
If I can find a wee container I'll send you a blob of the stuff I use and you can have a crack at it.

I mentioned the Tcut method to JayDee & he said "tread with extreme caution. Tcut for that use is very powerful & it's easy to go too far too fast, especially if it's a sunburst finish".
I've since found a kit made by Gibson for maintaining Nitro finishes which includes a bottle of polish for taking out scratches, & a finishing polish. I bought mine from GuitarGuitar; it also includes lemon oil for the board & a dinky little brush for cleaning between the saddles etc.