Why become a member? ×

Control Knobs for Jap 80's Jazz Bass Special ?

Nostromo

Hi,

I've had the control knobs pinched off of my 80's Jazz Bass Special . . . . . . unbelievable when you think you're only out gigging for penuts to entertain people ! ! !

Left the bass on its stand during a pub gig interval between sets - and when I got back from the bar . . . . two knobs gone ! . . . . and no one saw a thing ! . . . who'd expect that to happen ? ? ?

Anyway thats the sad story . . . . . my question is . . . . . does anyone know where I might get some genuine replacements ?

These knobs look somewhat similar to strat knobs, but, very slightly taller and they have as sort of soft rubber shank covering rather than being hard plastic like a strat knob, so they feel completely different to the touch.

Obviously a great shame to loose the originals on a bass thats now starting to become collectable . . . and what use they will be to the thief who now has them I do not know ? ? ?

Was also wondering if these exact knobs were fitted to any other guitars ? . . . . as if they were, then maybe I could extend my google seach options . . . at the moment I'm using very narrow search terms like "jap jazz bass special knobs" to try and home in on the correct ones ?

Picture of exactly what I'm after attached below:-

[attachment=74775:Fender_J...pan_Knob.jpg]

ps. Ive found a USA website that sells knobs with identical form to these original Jap fender knobs except they dont have the reverse fender "F" cap, so almost a replacement but not quite ! ! . . . . .

So . . . still looking for real fender Japan NOS replacements - any advice or info much appreciated ? ?

Web search not throwing up anything helpful so far ?

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1161691' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:05 PM']. . . . . my question is . . . . . does anyone know where I might get some genuine replacements ?...[/quote]
Go to the next gig of the other band that was on the line up and wait for the bass player to go to the loo. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1161708' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:16 PM']Go to the next gig of the other band that was on the line up and wait for the bass player to go to the loo. :)[/quote]

Cant believe a fellow bass player would do a thing like that . . . . surely sacrilege to plunder and despoil an all original 80’s fender bass ! ! ! . . . surely not the work of a fellow musician ?

Any advice on where I might find some NOS knobs much appreciated everyone ?

[quote name='Nostromo' post='1161726' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:27 PM']Cant believe a fellow bass player would do a thing like that . . . .[/quote]
Must have been a fan then. You should feel honoured. :)

Seriously though, try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=26672&view=findpost&p=274166"]this[/url].

These are the same as fitted to the early Precision Lyte basses.

I may have some in a spares box from way back when a mate changed the circuit in his Lyte.

I'll have a look later today.

In the meantime, nearest equivalent (without the 'F') is Allparts No. PK-0183-023.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='1161762' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:55 PM']These are the same as fitted to the early Precision Lyte basses.

I may have some in a spares box from way back when a mate changed the circuit in his Lyte.

I'll have a look later today.

In the meantime, nearest equivalent (without the 'F') is Allparts No. PK-0183-023.[/quote]

Hi there Bass Doc,

To the rescue again ! . . . . . . really kind of you . . . . . . be pleased to hear if your search is successful ?

Cheers,

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1161734' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:34 PM']Must have been a fan then. You should feel honoured. :)

Seriously though, try [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=26672&view=findpost&p=274166"]this[/url].[/quote]

Well . . . . never thought about havin fans nicking me knobs ? . . . surely not ?

. . no only joking ! . . . . am fairly certain I dont have any fans !

Could have been the landlord at the pub where we played the gig ? . . . . always moaning we charged too much to play !

And thanks for your "try [u]this[/u]" link . . . not found anything yet but my google searches are getting warmer ?

ps . . . like your "high plains skankin" by the way . . . .

Wonderful,

Its a deal . . . . . how shall I pay you the Tenner ?

If you'd let me have an address I could post the tenner to you first - and on receiopt of that you could send the knobs ?

Very many thanks to Bass Doc . . . . . .

Edited by Nostromo

• 2 years later...

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1300175285' post='1162669']
You're in luck. Found a pair in my spares box.

They'll cost you a tenner but you will be as happy as a man with two knobs.
[/quote]

I need one too, preferably three (mmm confusing?)

Any ideas where I can get one, preferably three?

Cheers x