Why become a member? ×

Revalving an SVT3 PRO

MatthewKeys

Hey, I was just wondering if changing the preamp tubes in my SVT3 PRO would have a significant impact on the tone of it? The current valves in there are sovteks and I have heard some not so good things about them.

And if I was to revalve it, how would I go about doing it, like what valves would I replace them with etc?

In my amp, there are:

Three, Sovtek 12AX7WA

One, sovtek groove tube 12AX7R (ECC83) or something like that

And One, Electro harmonix 12AU7A (ECC82)

Thanks! :)

Never mind the rumour mill, what does the amp sound like now? Pre amp valves don't wear and fail like power amp valves can. If you're happy with your sound I'd leave it.

If you change the valves you will probably alter the tone, cos that's what valves do.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1168369' date='Mar 19 2011, 03:44 PM']Never mind the rumour mill, what does the amp sound like now? Pre amp valves don't wear and fail like power amp valves can. If you're happy with your sound I'd leave it.

If you change the valves you will probably alter the tone, cos that's what valves do.[/quote]

It sounds a bit Lo-Fi, muddy and unresponsive I guess. I would like it to be punchier and more define, would changing tubes do that?

[quote name='Musky' post='1168985' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:57 PM']You might like to checkout the [url="http://www.finnbass.com/showthread.php?t=22"]valve comparison thread[/url] over on finnbass. Very informative, and written by a guy who likes his valves![/quote]

Thanks for that, I will read into it :)

Do you know what valves I would have to buy in terms of like AX7 and AU7s.. because my amps original valves are 3 12AX7 in the preamp, and one 12AX7 and one 12A7 in the driver tube part. Does that mean I have to buy 4 12AX7 and 1 12AU7... or can I use 5 12AX7's?

Thanks

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1169663' date='Mar 20 2011, 04:33 PM']Thanks for that, I will read into it :)

Do you know what valves I would have to buy in terms of like AX7 and AU7s.. because my amps original valves are 3 12AX7 in the preamp, and one 12AX7 and one 12A7 in the driver tube part. Does that mean I have to buy 4 12AX7 and 1 12AU7... or can I use 5 12AX7's?

Thanks[/quote]
I'll defer to Bryce's comparison here, and note that a 12AU7/ECC82 has much, much lower gain than a 12AX7/ECC83, which suggests that a 12AX7 wouldn't be appropriate in a position intended for a 12AU7.

[quote name='paul_5' post='1170297' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:18 AM']I'd recommend a chat with the chaps at Watford Valves, they seem to know their Ampeg stuff inside and out, sorted mine out a treat.[/quote]

I had a chat with them on the phone but I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying most of the time because he was talking quietly.. he said something about 'STR HARMA' and a harma retro... any idea what that means?

ask him to speak up and explain....

Go onto their website and look at the desciptions, this will give you the info on these valves. Harma is the make.

Also do a search on here, there are plenty of threads about valves.

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1170806' date='Mar 21 2011, 04:03 PM']I had a chat with them on the phone but I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying most of the time because he was talking quietly.. he said something about 'STR HARMA' and a harma retro... any idea what that means?[/quote]

The Harma brand is Watford Valves' own. They select quality valves and drive test them to 'premium' standard and the best ones get badged with the Harma name and logo. In a report on their website they say that the Harma Diamond STR is a replica of the Telefunken ECC803s / Telsa E83CC made by JJ Valves. I'm actually a fan of these - I like how they sound - I've owned both the Harma versions and the JJ versions. I would choose either of these over a Sovtek any day, but that's just my taste. The Harma Retro is also also an ECC83 (which is a like for like 12AX7) - but this one is a recreation of the Mullard ECC83. As far as I recall, they were interested in finding a valve that sounded like the Mullard vs one that was constructed the same.

On the subject of Sovtek - they are a huge manufacturer and companies such as ElectroHarmonix and GT rebadge Sovteks for their own distribution.

[quote name='dood' post='1171057' date='Mar 21 2011, 06:44 PM']The Harma brand is Watford Valves' own. They select quality valves and drive test them to 'premium' standard and the best ones get badged with the Harma name and logo. In a report on their website they say that the Harma Diamond STR is a replica of the Telefunken ECC803s / Telsa E83CC made by JJ Valves. I'm actually a fan of these - I like how they sound - I've owned both the Harma versions and the JJ versions. I would choose either of these over a Sovtek any day, but that's just my taste. The Harma Retro is also also an ECC83 (which is a like for like 12AX7) - but this one is a recreation of the Mullard ECC83. As far as I recall, they were interested in finding a valve that sounded like the Mullard vs one that was constructed the same.

On the subject of Sovtek - they are a huge manufacturer and companies such as ElectroHarmonix and GT rebadge Sovteks for their own distribution.[/quote]

Ah it's starting to make sense now :)

So do I buy JJ or Harma? Sorry for the questions!

[quote name='MatthewKeys' post='1171283' date='Mar 21 2011, 08:45 PM']Ah it's starting to make sense now :)

So do I buy JJ or Harma? Sorry for the questions![/quote]

heh heh! Don't apologise! That's what we're here for! :) - Well if you go somewhere and buy a premium tested (for noise and microphonics etc) JJ ECC83S, the chances are the price won't be much different from a Harma STR from Watford Valves. That said though, I don't really know what tests one company does vs another and therefore have no leanings. Derek at Watford Valves has been really helpful to me in the past though and I've not had anything to worry about with the Harmas yet.. I've revalved nearly all my valve gear with Harmas too and as I say, I think they are a great improvement over a stock Sovtek.

Watford Valves do sell the JJ badged version too, but I don't know if they are a tested version.

[quote name='dood' post='1171445' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:25 PM']heh heh! Don't apologise! That's what we're here for! :) - Well if you go somewhere and buy a premium tested (for noise and microphonics etc) JJ ECC83S, the chances are the price won't be much different from a Harma STR from Watford Valves. That said though, I don't really know what tests one company does vs another and therefore have no leanings. Derek at Watford Valves has been really helpful to me in the past though and I've not had anything to worry about with the Harmas yet.. I've revalved nearly all my valve gear with Harmas too and as I say, I think they are a great improvement over a stock Sovtek.

Watford Valves do sell the JJ badged version too, but I don't know if they are a tested version.[/quote]

I think I will settle for the Harma ones, they seem pretty reliable!

Because my amp has, one 12AU7 in it, does it mean I have to buy a replacement 12AU7 too?.. if so, what one? Or could I replace it with a 12AX7?

Thanks!