Why become a member? ×

Scratchplates.

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1170611' date='Mar 21 2011, 02:16 PM']Who are these scratchy bass players out there causing choas and the need for flat bits of plastic protection? We should be told.[/quote]

That would be me. Lots of sctatches.

They're also good for covering up cheap manufacturing techniques.

I expect the original '51 P had a scratchplate so it would look consistent with the Fender Telecaster, which has a plate to suspend a pickup from, hide some routing & protect the lacquer from all that strummy guitarist nonsense.

After that, I suppose it just became a tradition on most basses.

Jon.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1170611' date='Mar 21 2011, 02:16 PM']I get that they are to stop scratches appearing on your bass but I just find myself asking, who plays that chaotically that they hit the bass hard enough to scratch it there as opposed to anywhere else? :) Even if I played with a pick, I would still struggle to scratch a bass there. Now, if I played with a Black and Decker a la Paul Gilbert, then maybe there would be a chance of a nick or two but, in 25 years, my scratchplateless Wal has managed to avoid being scratched where the scratch plate would have been had mine been a Fender or a Musicman. Who are these scratchy bass players out there causing choas and the need for flat bits of plastic protection? We should be told.[/quote]

I've played "Daddy, Lover, Little boy" hundreds of time (complete with Makita drill!) and not scractched the plate on my Attitude :P

though have when playing with a pick on my old P-bass :)

Yamaha Market it as 1) More modern/differnt look, and 2) Stops the paint/finish being scratched as the plate can be replaced and also acts as a "slap guagrd" to stop the finish wearing away, which i think look erm, not good! Plus you can change them and personalise your bass a bit too :lol:

I mean i play some basses with and some with out, like ever seen a 6 string with one? :D