Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Dating

overwater#1

Hey all..

My very good friend has asked me to try and do some research on his Precision.

He bought it new in Liverpool, still has the reciept I believe, everything on it is original...!! He had it professionally re-fretted I think at some point, as back then it was a users instrument, though it hasn't affected the bass what so ever, and it looks absolubtly original, as it was done a long time ago, but now he keeps it pride of place in his house anyway, as he uses a Re-Issue Jazz. Everything else on the bass, down to the last screw is bob on original and genuine, factory fitted original!!! Absolubtly awesome piece of history... Just awesome!!!

I have dated the bass to 1962, serial number 792**

I am curious to know if there are any more archives on the net where I could find out some more information about the bass, i.e date of finishing. I heard it is possible to find this out, but I don't think Fender will help with regards to vintage instruments now.. grumpy bas**rds!!!

Is there anyone here who could date this bass more accurately, or know who I should contact, where to go... it'd mean a lot to my friend, as this bass is a part of him really.. He is a fairly old guy, and has owned it all his life.. just wow!

Also, what sort of value would you put on this bass money wise, roughly? Of course he would NEVER sell it, it is a part of him, but it'd be nice to know never the less...

Please get in touch if you could help me anyway.. I will go and take some detailed pictures of the bass as soon as poss, so you can all have a bask in its beauty!

Thankyou very much!
Best Wishes,
Matt D :)

Edited by overwater#1

Hi Matt

Well, the serial number is correct for a '62. If you want to be more specific, take the neck off and the month and year will (should!) be stamped on the heel. What colour is it? We need to see photos!

As for value.. well, it's hard to say as they don't pop up too often. Thousands, for sure.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know. There's a few Fendanoraks (like me!) on here.

Hi Matt,

To date a vintage Fender precisely is difficult - you need a combination of the serial number, neck date code, neck pocket date, pot manufacturer's code & then that has to be compared to a whole number of details to do with the construction and parts used...

That serial number is pretty definitely from 1962 - but as WOT says you would really also need to look at the neck butt date - which would be either written in pencil (M-YY) up to March '62, or from March '62 onwards as an ink date stamp in the format '5' (for Precision) XXX 'Month' XX 'Year' 'C' (neck width - most likely a C for an early 60's P bass).

But if, as you say, this guy has the original receipt from when it was bought new then that should give a pretty accurate way of dating it!

If you can post a complete set of decent quality pictures then we can give you a pretty accurate dating...

Value?
It will have been slightly de-valued to a collector by being re-fretted, but not by much if this was done properly using the correct gauge of fret-wire.
An early 60's Precision (from 1959 to 1963) are THE most sought after and valuable of all Precision basses - and it will be worth many thousands...how many depends of its condition. James Jamerson used a 1962 sunburst Precision - that should tell you all you need to know about how highly these are regarded!

We'd all love to see pictures of it anyway - just to have a drool - so please post some if you can!
:)

• 9 months later...

Hey guys.. Sorry for the lack of information on this thread, but i'd like to get it going again!

I finally found some time to try the bass, and used it on a gig..I did a concert of Jekyll and Hyde the musical for a local operatics society. The owner was there, hence letting me use it!

The bass aesthetically is sooooooo moje'd!! The neck is absolute perfection, with a really beautiful vintage colour. The body has plenty of wear in places.... mainly, the body has a large gouge on the lower. Apparently, my friend used it on a gig, was pissed as a skunk, and the hi-hat on the drum kit going up and down all night, had gouged out a large mark in the lower of the bass!!!! Back in the day... He wouldn't do that now! The pick guard has a nice, almost gold apprearance from smokey clubs. Absolutely all parts are original, although I believe its been re-fretted, and it was originally salmon pink, it was refinished in the 70's/80's sometime by a qualified professional who finished the body to Fender spec original sunburst which looks stunning, despite the wear it now bears. The neck wasn't touched, and is beautiful.

Argghhh, I could go on and on....

It plays beautifully, just perfect!! The tone is unbelievable, the action and feel is by far the best precision I've ever played! No problems with wiring, no buzzes, hisses, nothing.. It was such an easy bass to play!!

I will try and get hold of it again now, when he returns from holiday, and get a few hundred high res pics taken.. as it really is the most stunning bass I've ever played, second to my Overwater!!! :huh:

It would be great to work out a value for it, although he's turned down numerous offers of £1000's, as the bass is a part of him.. even if it was worthless, its still priceless to him. He owned it from '63, bought it new from the shop I can't remember the name of in Liverpool, and has the receipt for it still I believe, and its been through everything with him.. he's had it longer than his wife!!! He bought it for when he was in a band with Ricky Tomlinson, before Ricky's fame, and was in a band called Karl Terry and the Cruisers in Liverpool... and so on....!! He won't let anyone use it unless he's present, and I can see why.. Its not just a bass.. It's fascinating to hear the stories about the bass, he could talk for days about the bass, places it's been, stories for every mark and scratch etc.. Just phenomenal!! So interesting :)

More soon....!

Edited by overwater#1

[quote name='overwater#1' post='333043' date='Nov 20 2008, 12:24 PM']....Absolutely all parts are original, although I believe its been re-fretted, and it was originally salmon pink, it was refinished in the 70's/80's sometime by a qualified professional who finished the body to Fender spec original sunburst which looks stunning, despite the wear it now bears....[/quote]
It doesn't matter how good the refinish is, or who did it, you're now looking at a seriously reduced value for a "non original condition" bass.

[quote name='overwater#1' post='333043' date='Nov 20 2008, 12:24 PM']Absolutely all parts are original, although I believe its been re-fretted, and it was originally salmon pink, it was refinished in the 70's/80's sometime by a qualified professional who finished the body to Fender spec original sunburst which looks stunning, despite the wear it now bears. The neck wasn't touched, and is beautiful.

It would be great to work out a value for it, although he's turned down numerous offers of £1000's[/quote]

With both a refinish & a re-fret would it even be worth close to the £2000 mark?

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='333228' date='Nov 20 2008, 04:34 PM']it should be a sin to refinish salmon pink as sunburst.

i'm not even a huge fan of salmon pink. but its so bright and quite rare, and sunburst is like the most common colour ever and really boring.[/quote]

+1 Sunburst is wrong and any bass in sunburst that comes into my house has a meeting with a sander.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='333238' date='Nov 20 2008, 04:43 PM']With both a refinish & a re-fret would it even be worth close to the £2000 mark?[/quote]

Yep - around £2K is the going rate for a refinished pre-CBS Precision & then only if it is 100% original parts.