Why become a member? ×

Interesting playing technique...

Jerry_B

Looks similar to what Steve Rothery does for Marillon - he's a guitarist though? Don't suppose it matters as long as you get the sound you want though, and to be honest [i]anything[/i] that detracts from the sartorial nightmare that is 1960's Australian TV is OK in my book. :)

[quote name='BassBus' post='1185622' date='Apr 2 2011, 10:20 AM']And what about the hat the singer is wearing. :)[/quote]
I'm not convinced that's a hat... reminded me of this:

Can't decide about the bassist. Either he's got a very novel combination pick/finger thing going on or it's conventional flatpicking & his fingers are just in the vicinity without doing anything.

I like it :) (in small doses)

Hes definatly playing a combined finger/pick. Right at the beginning he's fretting the G&D and fingering them combined with an open E on the plec. I do think the guitar solo is being followed. The close up is of the rhythm guitarist lol As for that hair...................

A

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1185880' date='Apr 2 2011, 03:23 PM']Yep, I thought it was like a guitar playing style - or banjo even. Interesting to see it being applied to a bass...[/quote]

Not really banjo technique. Victor Wootens (and sometimes Stu Hamms)slap approach is more influenced by the Scruggs style of banjo playing.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1185969' date='Apr 2 2011, 05:17 PM']I mentioned the banjo as a bloke I used to know would sometimes use what looks like a similar technique, but use his nails to play along with what the thumbpick was playing.[/quote]

Yeah,that's Scruggs style where you use thumb and two fingers(index/middle) with or without thumb/finger picks.
This guy is more like the guitar style of normal pick playing with fingers added-similar to what the Nashville guys call 'Chicken Pickin''.