Why become a member? ×

Hello from Dubai

markovilla

Hello from the Land of Sand..

Well, this looks like a great forum - I had poached some info from you all beforehand but figured its time to join in the chat!

Me:

From Birmingham - been in Dubai for 3 years. Yes, its warmer than Brum.. yes, its more fun too ;-)
43 years old - going on 17.... have given up on attempting to grow up

Played Bass n a little guitar as a teenager - pretty much stopped playing by my early 20's.... no, I don't know why either - other than my work took me around Europe alot and I just didn't seem to have time to play.

Started hanging around with Musoes here in Dubai - there is a great live music scene here which really surprised me - and now I'm back in it. Playing in a band, jammin with others - its great :-)

I'm so thoroughly 're-addicted' to playing/talking music that my work is suffering.... ah well !

The Gear:

1) Just got a second hand '06 Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass and Fender hard case that was virtually spotless - ebay from the US for $1000 including shipping/customs. Plays/sounds great :-)
2) Fender Precision Deluxe - '08 model in Amber
3) Practice Ashdown Perfect Ten - fine for messing about at home
4) A donated Boss GT6B pedal board - God I need some tips on using this thing! I'm still livin in the '80's :-) :-) !!

Wants:

Little Mark III Head and 2 x 10 Cab.. or 2 x 10 & 1 x 15 Cab.

Music:

Really a Rock and Blues type but anything good to my ears which crosses alot of genres.

Bass influences are:
Geddy Lee, Louis Johnson, Pino Palladino, Rob De Leo, Jamerson/Babbit & the Motown set in general, just to mention a few.

Glad to be here - look forward to shooting the bass breeze ;-)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1187477' date='Apr 4 2011, 01:15 PM']Hey Mark I did a stint in Dubai, most people can't wait to escape the place from what I hear now. What on earth is keeping you there? :)[/quote]

Hello Mate

Yeah, I must admit - its terrible really. Perhaps what keeps me here is;

Live Music 7 nites a week in too many venues to mention - within 20 mins drive from anywhere in the city (no more crazy traffic like years back)
Great Musician scene
International acts - A bit lousy though, we've only had Prince, Linkin Park, Guns n Roses, Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, Jools Holland, Train, Lifehouse, Alison Moyet, Corrs, Bryan Adams, Faithless in the last 4 months or so .... that I can remember off the top of my head....
Beach gigs twice a week.
Having to choose between short sleeve or long sleeve shirts.... 12 months of the year...
Paying 14 quid to fill my Mustang
Plenty of Guinness/Jack Daniels
Women
Being allowed to smoke me Marlboros inside..

... Anyway - I'll think of something worthwhile in a minute I'm sure.... :) :lol: :D

Edited by markovilla

Ha - i was out there in the 80s and 90s working as a pro musician in places like the Chicago Beach Hotel and Inter Continental, Sheraton etc. Then went to Oman - then Abu Dhabi. Good tax free times. Best thing were all the bootleg cassettes which i still have in my loft!

Welcome to Basschat

[quote name='markovilla' post='1187489' date='Apr 4 2011, 09:29 AM']Paying 14 quid to fill my Mustang
Plenty of Guinness/Jack Daniels[/quote]

Dubai is the only place I've ever worked where a tank of gas costs the same as two glasses of wine. :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1187640' date='Apr 4 2011, 03:18 PM']Dubai is the only place I've ever worked where a tank of gas costs the same as two glasses of wine. :D[/quote]

:) :) So true dude! Or 3 pints o the Black stuff!! that's why I sneak around being a wannabe Muso - my mates get some proper little perks on the booze front where they're the resident band!

Thanks for the welcome guys :lol: