Why become a member? ×

Recommended 2x12 cabs

thebassman

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1190083' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:47 AM']Chuck a [url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve"]Barefaced Super Twelve T[/url] in the mix of cabs to think about.[/quote]
I've got my 12's but if I were starting again the first cabs I'd check out would be the Barefaced Super Twelve and Big Twin.

[quote name='eude' post='1191737' date='Apr 7 2011, 02:04 PM']Awesome dude.
I really really like the look of that Fusion head.
I wonder how it compares to the Genz Benz Streamliner in terms of sound, the Bass Whisperer test of the GB on Youtube sounds incredible!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

Eude[/quote]

It's a totally different beast to the GB stuff, the GB is a much cleaner hi-fi sound (I assume that's why Ed Friedland uses them for his reviews, it shows more difference between basses tonally), all GK gear colours the tone a lot, adding that trademark growl. Obviously it depends what kind of sound you want, I personally find the extra grunt you get from GK gear really helps pushing me through in a band situation. Unlike some amps, I've never found that I've lost the definition, however much I dial out the treble and in the bass. Of course that's with my 2001RB-II head, though I have high expectiations from the MB Fusion too.

Of course I'll let you know how I get on with it. I've not had a go with one in a band situation yet so I'm looking forwards to it. I'm looking forwards to having the head for purely nerdy purposes too, it's so small and light with a valve pre and so much power...what's not to be excited about? That's the same reason I want an MB200, despite only being 140w @ 8Ohm, it pumped out enough power at the LBGS. Turning up to a venue with that little thing for a rock gig would probably produce some funny looks. People would soon stop laughing when you plug it in though. :)

It's still not actually literally ordered yet (as in final orders and posted, stupid extra paperwork because of the endorsement) but it's going through the motions. I'm hoping I'll have it next week as Polar have them in stock. :lol:

Edit: It's worth noting the Ed Friedland could play elastic strings around a tissue box amplified by a cheap megaphone and still hit the holy grail of bass tone.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey