Why become a member? ×

Trace V6,I am really F***ed off

mikhay77

So I got a Trace V6,in good nick,I know a bit about amps and I had a look at the internals,all looks pretty good,no burnt boards or melted or messed about wiring,a nice clean example,but it had ge 6550s fitted and should have Kt88s.It performed OK but I had only practised with it twice and sounded to have little more distortion when pushed than should have.So had it serviced and revalved recently in Nottingham,4 new JJ pre amp valves,6 matched gold lions.They said 2 pre valves where nackered,and they give it a clean bill.Got it back and was really looking forward.Now heres the problem,start to give it some juice,5 on the gain and approx 3 on the volume,(any more and it cant handle it)and it really started to crack the speakers,very harsh.Sounded like the cones where blowin out! Took it back and was told it had taken out 2 88s due to bad connection (where?),I thought hold on these are new.Two more fitted and rebiased again,still the same.They now say its been modded and a pre amp valve wasnt working or bi passed? ( Hold on wasnt this checked)! So they sorted that.Went to pick up today and still the same! So a month later and an esculating bill of hundreds they now think it could be an output transformer! Frick. I just want it right. Starting to loose faith if you know what I mean.So sorry for the essay,but is there anyone here in Basschat Land that knows about these amps and can repair em. Or anyone can recommend some one.Any help Guys!

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='mikhay77' post='1190884' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:30 PM']So I got a Trace V6,in good nick,I know a bit about amps and I had a look at the internals,all looks pretty good,no burnt boards or melted or messed about wiring,a nice clean example,but it had ge 6550s fitted and should have Kt88s.It performed OK but I had only practised with it twice and sounded to have little more distortion when pushed than should have.So had it serviced and revalved recently in Nottingham,4 new JJ pre amp valves,6 matched gold lions.They said 2 pre valves where nackered,and they give it a clean bill.Got it back and was really looking forward.Now heres the problem,start to give it some juice,5 on the gain and approx 3 on the volume,(any more and it cant handle it)and it really started to crack the speakers,very harsh.Sounded like the cones where blowin out! Took it back and was told it had taken out 2 88s due to bad connection (where?),I thought hold on these are new.Two more fitted and rebiased again,still the same.They now say its been modded and a pre amp valve wasnt working or bi passed? ( Hold on wasnt this checked)! So they sorted that.Went to pick up today and still the same! So a month later and an esculating bill of hundreds they now think it could be an output transformer! Frick. I just want it right. Starting to loose faith if you know what I mean.So sorry for the essay,but is there anyone here in Basschat Land that knows about these amps and can repair em. Or anyone can recommend some one.Any help Guys![/quote]

Trace originally produced the V6 with 6550s but changed to KT88s later on for reliability reasons.
If your V6 had 6550s in it when you got it then maybe it was never designed to use KT88s and this is where your troubles are coming from?

[quote name='icastle' post='1190910' date='Apr 6 2011, 07:46 PM']Trace originally produced the V6 with 6550s but changed to KT88s later on for reliability reasons.
If your V6 had 6550s in it when you got it then maybe it was never designed to use KT88s and this is where your troubles are coming from?[/quote]
Mmm,didnt know that,thought they all run Kt88s,wouldnt the repairer know what was compatable? How would I be able to find out?

I know nothing about it but would recommend a chat with [url="http://www.electronicmusicservices.co.uk/traceelliot/"]these guys[/url] who are a Trace Elliot recommended service centre. They have my MkV AH250 at the moment and would appear to know exactly what they are doing.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1190952' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:07 PM']I know nothing about it but would recommend a chat with [url="http://www.electronicmusicservices.co.uk/traceelliot/"]these guys[/url] who are a Trace Elliot recommended service centre. They have my MkV AH250 at the moment and would appear to know exactly what they are doing.[/quote]
Thats great thanks,I also have a Mk4 ah250 that needs a repair too,just a very low distorted output,so will email them tomorrow about both,cheers,Mike

[quote name='Hamster' post='1191035' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:00 PM']If Southend is too far - this guy is in Nottingham - [url="http://www.chambonino.com/"]http://www.chambonino.com/[/url][/quote]
+1 for this guy. He's lovably bonkers, but he knows his stuff.