Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a combo!

Jesso

Yo basschatters.

In my band, quick set up time is of the essence.
I'm thinking a combo would speed me up a bit.... every second counts sometimes!
I like the oomph of 2x12 speakers..... I don't think I could live with a 2x10.
My 2 GS12 Cabs with an Eden WT550 is a super duper rig, and loud enough for anything at all I could be doing as I can use FOH for bigger gigs.
I love the small footprint and light weight individually of the cabs (they're loaded with neos).
Is there a good 2x12 combo on the market at the mo? Anyone using anything tasty? It's gotta be reasonably light though.
Cheers!

Gallien Krueger MB212? No idea what it's like, just sayin'...

• 500W Digital power amp
• 1/8” aux input
• Headphone jack
• Defeatable limiter
• Two 12” neodymium speakers
• Active 4 band EQ with contour
• XLR output
• 26.75x19.5x14.75
• 37 lbs.

[quote name='tredders' post='1191030' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:57 PM']I love my Tecamp ([url="http://www.tecamp.de/?id=145"]details here[/url]). 2 x 12, sounds great, plenty loud enough for regular pub gigs, and only 21kg.

I think someone was selling one on here recently...[/quote]

Ah yes, tecamp. I almost traded an aggie SC500 against one a little while back but it didn't happen. Has that got the puma head in it or something quite similar? What's the going rate do you reckon at the moment for one and how would you compare the sound to eden/aguilar/orange etc? Thanks!

[quote name='Jesso' post='1191042' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:03 PM']Ah yes, tecamp. I almost traded an aggie SC500 against one a little while back but it didn't happen. Has that got the puma head in it or something quite similar? What's the going rate do you reckon at the moment for one and how would you compare the sound to eden/aguilar/orange etc? Thanks![/quote]

Yeah, it's got a Puma 500 head in it. No idea how it sounds compared to those you list, but it has a great "taste" knob which gives a load of different sounds. Basically I leave the amp controls flat and purely use the taste knob to go from fat 60's Motown to Foxton style clank. I'm really happy with mine.

Regarding price, I think the last one went for about £750 on here, so they're not particularly cheap...

If you decide you CAN live with a 2x10, I have a TecAmp Puma 210 Combo i'm considering selling. Same head as the 212 and as someone who normally uses 12's and 15's, I was staggered by the sound.
They are amazingly loud and the "Taste" control is fantastic, (just like the MarkBass VLE and VLF in one). I have played clubs with it, no PA support and been told to turn down.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1191138' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:55 PM']If you decide you CAN live with a 2x10, I have a TecAmp Puma 210 Combo i'm considering selling. Same head as the 212 and as someone who normally uses 12's and 15's, I was staggered by the sound.
They are amazingly loud and the "Taste" control is fantastic, (just like the MarkBass VLE and VLF in one). I have played clubs with it, no PA support and been told to turn down.[/quote]

Thanks guys. I've sent you a pm bass bunny.
I'll check out the ebs combo I've heard great things.
Stingray pete I know what your saying, it makes sense.... But at the moment my wt 550 in it's Flightcase is actually a bit more hefty than you would imagine... So that's 3 heavy(ish) boxes to lift and 2 leads to connect.... If I'm being picky than yeah a combo would save time setting up as well as loading / unloading.
The Mesa m6 combo with 2 12s looks tasty but would bankrupt me for ever possibly.

[quote name='Jesso' post='1191172' date='Apr 6 2011, 10:21 PM']The Mesa m6 combo with 2 12s looks tasty but would bankrupt me for ever possibly.[/quote]

It's very tasty, but has just been discontinued, so you had better be quick if you want one.

I have used mine at small pub venues and out door venues, on the back of a lorry, with no PA support. Still has bags of power in reserve.

[quote name='Jesso' post='1191045' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:03 PM']Never tried GK. Might be worth a punt, but always felt they'd be a bit hifi for me.[/quote]

GKs are anything but hifi. :) Especially since you say you use an Eden head atm. If you can find a GK to try out, you should do it. They're fairly rare, but they're brilliant amps. There was an MB212 at the LBGS that was superb.