Why become a member? ×

Gear recommendations for monitors/amp/mixer.

David Nimrod

After using various clapped out and borrowed stuff it's time to buy a good set of gear, ie:-

Active monitiors, or passive monitors plus a power amp. (which is better, does it matter?).

Also I want a small mixer for my various keyboards, sound modules, drum machine etc.

(OK, I know this brings forth strong opinions, but is Behringer ok, or not ok, for the price?).

I'd like to buy new, and get the things above for under £400. Any advice would be great :)

Active monitors are quicker and simpler to setup but heavier to lug around.

Mackie make superb stuff. We used SRM450s as part of our main PA. But they're not cheap unless you can get some good secondhand ones.

Wharfedale also make good stuff if you need to keep an eye on the budget [url="http://www.swlighting.co.uk/products/wharfedale-monitor-speakers-198/1992.htm"]Wharfedale SVP-12PM[/url]. I bought one of these for myself and it does the job well and is also reasonably compact.

Soundcraft and Yamaha make good mixers in lots of different sizes. Behringer and Phonic are cheap and cheerful and do a great job for the price but can be less reliable if you're unlucky - but then they're so cheap you can just chuck em away if they go faulty.

Remember you'll need cables to connect everything together so allow for that in your budget.

Yamaha make nice small mixers, I reckon.
I bought an Alesis 12R in the end because I wanted rack-mounting and small.

I've had mixed experiences with Behringer - I'd probably concur that it's best avoided for essential items like the mixer.

Of the cheaper active monitors, I like Samson and Yamaha - but I haven't checked anything recently.

You should probably factor in a decent limiter/compressor too - synths (and PCs) can generate all sorts of stuff on occasion that you *really* don't want to hear at the full output of your amplification!

[quote name='Stewart' post='136433' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:13 PM']You should probably factor in a decent limiter/compressor too - synths (and PCs) can generate all sorts of stuff on occasion that you *really* don't want to hear at the full output of your amplification![/quote]

Good point! Any particular ones to check out?

I've got a Behringer doing an OK job for that - an MDX1600, it sounds reasonable at lower ratios, but I only have it in the monitor chain as a last-ditch limiter really... I don't use it for recording.

I also have a Focusrite Compounder which is a lovely piece of kit, but considerably more expensive - it depends whether you intend to use it for recording, I'd say (and then you would really need to audition it).

DN

You cant go far wrong with these.....

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sid=c57803466044abc35ba76ac5147bcd1f&sw=the+box&x=9&y=5"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?s...amp;x=9&y=5[/url]

I use a MA205 (2x5") active for pactising through with my Micro Br, AND can get away with using it for MP3 playback and drum machine when jamming with mates.....

I'm very impressed with mine.....