Why become a member? ×

Nottingham Blues Jam

Roland Rock

With an ever expanding family, I will unfortunately have to pare back my time gigging. It's a shame, as our band were just getting to where they need to be, with gigs around the country for decent money. Alas, my time spent at home helping out is more valuable in the present circumstances. Looks like they'll need to get a replacement in.

I want to keep playing, but can't commit to regular practicing/gigging. I then thought about an established blues jam in Nottingham, run by a guy called Colin Staples. I've been to this before as a spectator, and the format seemed to be regular house band play with a selection of guitarists throughout the course of the night. My question is, what about bass players? Can I just turn up and ask to sit in? Do I need my own bass? Any other groundrules I need to know? Any advice from people who have played at this, or any other blues jam would be appreciated.

Thanks

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1195135' date='Apr 10 2011, 10:10 PM']With an ever expanding family, I will unfortunately have to pare back my time gigging. It's a shame, as our band were just getting to where they need to be, with gigs around the country for decent money. Alas, my time spent at home helping out is more valuable in the present circumstances. Looks like they'll need to get a replacement in.

I want to keep playing, but can't commit to regular practicing/gigging. I then thought about an established blues jam in Nottingham, run by a guy called Colin Staples. I've been to this before as a spectator, and the format seemed to be regular house band play with a selection of guitarists throughout the course of the night. My question is, what about bass players? Can I just turn up and ask to sit in? Do I need my own bass? Any other groundrules I need to know? Any advice from people who have played at this, or any other blues jam would be appreciated.

Thanks[/quote]

its the same for any instrument mate.

Just turn up and use the house gear, thats what its there for.

You could also swing in to the Old Volunteer, over Carlton Hill on a Thursday night from about 8:30 on. I did a lot of it about a year ago but only go occasionally now. Audience mainly musos & very supportive. I suspect if you frequent The Royal Children, you'd recognise some faces at the Volo.

G.

Usually with jams people tend to turn up with their own instrument but back line is provided by the venue. Colin Staples jam nights at the Running Horse was one of my first public performances on bass. I thought it was a bit cliquey and of course it is naturally very blues oriented, other jams are less restrictive. There's also one at The Greyhound in Beeston (you know where it is as I've seen you play there with the Bowie trib) on Sunday afternoons from 3pm, where our own Out To Play Jazz is in the house band.

Edited by KevB

Sixshooter, if your question was aimed at me, there isn't one at Running Horse any more. The one that was there is now at Royal Children on Wednesday nights. The one on Sunday afternoons-early evening (currently 3pm-7pm) is at The Greyhound in Beeston;
[url="http://www.greyhoundbeeston.co.uk/Greyhound/Welcome.html"]http://www.greyhoundbeeston.co.uk/Greyhound/Welcome.html[/url]

The web site still says 2pm-6pm but it was changed to an hour later a while ago.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='1195949' date='Apr 11 2011, 04:55 PM']Sixshooter, if your question was aimed at me, there isn't one at Running Horse any more. The one that was there is now at Royal Children on Wednesday nights. The one on Sunday afternoons-early evening (currently 3pm-7pm) is at The Greyhound in Beeston;
[url="http://www.greyhoundbeeston.co.uk/Greyhound/Welcome.html"]http://www.greyhoundbeeston.co.uk/Greyhound/Welcome.html[/url]

The web site still says 2pm-6pm but it was changed to an hour later a while ago.[/quote]

Thanks Kev, I guess I have been a little spoilt in that there is a Jam night almost every night in Surrey and usually a choice of several all advertised every week via Facebook. I will be taking a couple of weeks off soon so I may try and get to Royal Children and also The Greyhound.

Steve

Edited by sixshooter

[quote name='KevB' post='1195492' date='Apr 11 2011, 10:24 AM']Usually with jams people tend to turn up with their own instrument but back line is provided by the venue.[/quote]

Is that not unusual? The jam band provide all gear surely?

What's the point of having this 'drop in' band experience if you have to lug your own stuff to it!!

In my experience I have rarely seen anyone bring gear to a jam. I say turn up empty handed and just expect to use theirs. Nothing worse than being pished and having to worry about lugging your bass about all night!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1196049' date='Apr 11 2011, 06:30 PM']Is that not unusual? The jam band provide all gear surely?

What's the point of having this 'drop in' band experience if you have to lug your own stuff to it!!

In my experience I have rarely seen anyone bring gear to a jam. I say turn up empty handed and just expect to use theirs. Nothing worse than being pished and having to worry about lugging your bass about all night![/quote]

in my experinence there's nothin worse than some pissed up idiot turnin up at a jam without an instrument expectin to try and play yours :)

Thanks for the replies. The Greyhound sounds great, Kev - unfortunately Sunday afternoons are off limits due to the family thing.

I like the Volo - played gigs there, but was unaware of the jam night. I'll pop in one night.

Also, thanks to a PM, I can now contact Colin Staples directly, so I can ascertain whether I'll need to bring my own bass. I don't mind, as long as I don't have to bring my amp, but would hate to be the only one with my own instrument (other than the house band) and look like a precious numpty!

[quote name='slobluesine' post='1196176' date='Apr 11 2011, 08:30 PM']in my experinence there's nothin worse than some pissed up idiot turnin up at a jam without an instrument expectin to try and play yours :)[/quote]

well you shouldnt do a jam session in a pub where folk are encouraged to drink AND play with the band who are booked to be there to jam!!! If I go to a jam I expect to use guitar or bass thats on the stage.

and if someone is so pissed surely they wouldnt be allowed up to play anyway!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1196178' date='Apr 11 2011, 08:35 PM']Thanks for the replies. The Greyhound sounds great, Kev - unfortunately Sunday afternoons are off limits due to the family thing.

I like the Volo - played gigs there, but was unaware of the jam night. I'll pop in one night.

Also, thanks to a PM, I can now contact Colin Staples directly, so I can ascertain whether I'll need to bring my own bass. I don't mind, as long as I don't have to bring my amp, but would hate to be the only one with my own instrument (other than the house band) and look like a precious numpty![/quote]

If you go to the Volo, contact Simon who, with his wife (bass player!) Candy, organises the gig & he'll fit you in with some other players. There's a J bass on the stage, but as I said, most guys bring their own instruments. Peavey backline. Let me know when you're going & I'll come over from Loughborough.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1196582' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:14 AM']If you go to the Volo, contact Simon who, with his wife (bass player!) Candy, organises the gig & he'll fit you in with some other players. There's a J bass on the stage, but as I said, most guys bring their own instruments. Peavey backline. Let me know when you're going & I'll come over from Loughborough.

G.[/quote]

Nice one GB, will do. I have a couple of months of fulfilling current band commitments and welcoming new baby, then I'll get onto the jam thing and give you a shout.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1197300' date='Apr 12 2011, 08:47 PM']Nice one GB, will do. I have a couple of months of fulfilling current band commitments and welcoming new baby, then I'll get onto the jam thing and give you a shout.[/quote]

Good enough.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne