Why become a member? ×

Orange or Markbass or anything else?£1300 budget

Superbass

Hey guys, i just sold my ashdown evo 4x 10 combo and am looking to buy a new rig with a budget of around £1300 . I am thinking of either an Orange Terror Bass Amp Head with 2 x SP212 cabs (or maybe an OBC115 instead of one of the 212's) or a Marbass Little Mark 3 with a traveler 102 and a traveler 151 (the 15inch one anyway). I have tried the markbass stuff and like it alot but i love Orange sound. I am however, not convinced about Orange SP series cabs as i havent heard them. I am in an Indie Rock band that regularly plays to 200-300 and occasionally 1000 and we gig alot so all Amp/Cab options have to be portable and light. So sometimes i ideally want to only take half a rig e.g. one 2x10. A really lightweight and awesome 4x10 cab may be an option though. Let me know your thoughts guys. Thanks for the help.

If it was me, I'd go with the LM3 & 2 102 cabs stacked vertically but not before trying out the other offerings from Markbass & also trying out some TC, GenzBenz & whatever else I could find (as I did before going with the Markbass combo).

If you love the Orange sound then why not try a Terror thru a couple of MB 102s? Might tick your boxes.

If you are after a Indie/Rock vibe then I can understand looking at some valve Orange stuff, Ampeg also a classic rock amp.

If it was me I would go for a lightweight head, Aguilar Tonehammer 500, or Markbass offerings, rock solid and great tone with the EQ flat. If you have the strength look at some of the EBS stuff like the Fafner too. Personally I have never liked MarkBass cabs, i find them lacking in depth and a little 'boxy' sounding so I would avoid them and get either some Bergantino Stuff or EBS cabs. Used a huge range of cabs in the past, and my two EBS cabs have been the best by a long shot. Clear, punchy, powerful, and rock solid and I found even the proline stuff lightweight.

I currently use a EBS 1000w RMS 4x10 cab and it is all I will ever need for live work. Get to a shop like Bass Direct or the Gallery and just see what clicks.